Subject: Re: [sca-j] [ISSUE 105] RFC2119 Language is needed for C&I Specification- responses to comments and updated draft

Mike,
See my responses inline.  I will raise 4 issues as noted.

   Simon

Mike Edwards wrote:

> Simon,

> New proposal draft:
>
> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/download.php/31694/sca-javaci-1.1-spec-wd04_proposal2.pdf
>
> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/download.php/31693/sca-javaci-1.1-spec-wd04_proposal2.doc
>

> Yours,  Mike.
>
> Strategist - Emerging Technologies, SCA & SDO.
> Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
> IBM Hursley Park, Mail Point 146, Winchester, SO21 2JN, Great Britain.
> Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
> Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com
>

> From: 	Simon Nash <oasis@cjnash.com>
> To: 	sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org
> Date: 	05/03/2009 20:37
> Subject: 	Re: [sca-j] Groups - SCA Java C&I WD04 proposal (PDF)
> (sca-javaci-1.1-spec-wd04_proposal.pdf) uploaded

> Mike,
> Here my comments from a complete review of the document.  I have not
> repeated the comments that I made on Monday's call, except for the
> final one about the implementation.java schema to remind us that an
> issue is needed for this.  Line numbers are taken from the PDF document.
> I have indicated those comments for which I think issues are needed.
>
>  1. Page 1 (front cover): replace "supercedes" by "supersedes".
> *<mje>Fixed - although disputed</mje>*

Perhaps these might convince you:
http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=dev_dict&field-12668446=supersede&branch=13842570&textsearchtype=exact&sortorder=score%2Cname
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/supercede

>  2. Line 20: Refer to latest version of Assembly spec.
> *<mje>It is the latest public version - have to wait for CD03 to be
> public</mje>*
>
>  3. Line 23: Refer to latest version of JavaCAA spec.
> *<mje>Ditto</mje>*
>
>  4. Line 36: Non-normative "may".
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
>
>  5. Lines 47-48: Contradiction with lines 143-144.  Here it says that
>     an SCA interface defined by a Java class is not remotable.
>     In lines 143-144 it says that implementation classes can be
>     marked with @Remotable.  We need to decide which is correct.
>     [ISSUE NEEDED]
> *<mje>OK -leaving this for the issue</mje>*

The issue (JAVA-134) was resolved yesterday.  The words in lines 47-48
need to be changed to match the words in lines 143-144.

>  6. Line 49: Add reference [JAVACAA].
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
>
>  7. Line 90: The "can also define" suggests that @Service could specify
>     both an interface and the implementation class.  The "as opposed to"
>     that precedes it suggests that it's one or the other.  The spec needs
>     to be clear on whether or not this should be allowed. [ISSUE NEEDED]
> *<mje>Not sure of your point here - should be clearer when you raise the
> issue</mje>*

OK, will do.

>  8. Lines 109 and 132: Namespace appears in wrong font.
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
>  9. Lines 112, 135 and 138: "interface" should not be in bold font, as
>     this isn't Java code.
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 10. Lines 143-144: See comment 5 above.
> *<mje>ok</mje>*
> 11. Lines 156-158 and 166-168: Almost an exact repetition.  I suggest
>     removing the 166-168 version as the 156-158 version is more complete.
> *<mje>Fixed - although not in the way suggested</mje>*
>
> 12. Line 191: Two spaces after the "=" sign.
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 13. Lines 195, 200, 233, 236 and 343: remove "public or protected".
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 14. Line 203 (also 235 and 238): Should say that injection always occurs
>     before the first service method is called (as in the previous
> paragraph).
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 15. Line 207 and 241: Non-normative "optional".
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 16. Lines 209-210: Replace "references can also be determined" by
>     "references are determined".  Similar change needed in 243-244.
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 17. Line 220: Typo "propertoes".  Are these good to eat? :-)
> *<mje>Fixed - my toes are very proper, thank you</mje>*
> 18. Line 229: Space after the dot.
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 19. Line 259: What does the "unambiguously" mean?  Just that every parameter
>     must be marked with either @Property or @Reference?  If so, there is
>     a potential problem.  What if there are two constructors that both
>     have all of their parameters marked with either @Property or @Reference?
>     The two constructors could have the same property/reference names or
>     different property/reference names.  In both cases, this would be an
>     error.  I think the best way to handle this is to add words in the
>     JavaCAA spec to outlaw these illegal combinations.  It would also be
>     helpful to clarify the meaning of "unambiguously" here. [ISSUE NEEDED]
> *<mje>OK, an issue is needed here I think.  "Unambiguously" to me
> requires that each and*
> *every parameter not only has either a @Reference or a @Property
> annotation but also that*
> *the annotations declare a name.*
>
> *The case of 2 constructors meeting the requirements listed needs to be
> dealt with - both*
> *for the @Constructor annotation and for the constructors with all
> parameters annotated.*
> *It is illegal for there to be more than 1 constructor that meets these
> criteria.  There is*
> *an implied ordering I think - ie @Construtor annotated constructor
> first, then a*
> *constructor with all parameters annotated then a no-arg constructor.  I
> think the issue may*
> *need to make changes to this C&I spec as well as the CAA spec.</mje>*

I will raise the issue.

> 20. Lines 265-269.  There has been some discussion on the email list about
>     this.  It needs fixing.  See my comments in
>
> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200902/msg00243.html
> *<mje>I've left this - needs an issue</mje>*

OK, will do.

> 21. Lines 345-346: Text reads "...API methods....methods...".  Remove the
>     second "methods" on line 346.
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 22. Lines 489, 499, 508, 517: When this issue was resolved, we agreed to
>     add an editorial comment pointing out the lower case "s" in the second
>     method name.  This wasn't done when the issue resolution was applied.
> *<mje>Fixed - I commented every method</mje>*
> 23. Line 643: Delete conformance statement JCI00005, because this is
>     already covered by JCI00001.
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 24. Line 644: Delete conformance statement JCI00006, because this is
>     already covered by JCI00004.
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 25. Line 678: Change "composite" to "contribution".
> *<mje>Fixed</mje>*
> 26. Appendix A: Add schema for implementation.java and refer to it in
>     the Conformance section. [ISSUE NEEDED]
> *<mje>OK</mje>*

I'll raise this issue as well.

   Simon