Subject: Re: [sca-j] JAVA-129: Proposed resolution

Thanks for the table, it's very illustrative. This is one reason why I think working with examples is helpful. Can I go on record now expressing strong dislike of the JSR250 rules?

While the example is contrived and artificial to illustrate the effects of JSR250 works, it none-the-less shows the complexities. One aspect in particular that really jumps out is the effect of a method level annotation on other methods, producing side effects that will be easily overlooked.

Let's look at the helloThere method. Suppose the helloThere method was added to the HelloChildService and the implementation simply delegated to the super class. The table shows that there is a significant difference between helloThere as it exists in the HelloService and this new helloThere which is essentially the same service method! The changes occur simply due to collocation of the new helloThere method with other methods in HelloChildService. Ouch!

I'm now strongly reconsidering whether we should support any annotation inheritance.

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Simon Nash ---03/17/2009 05:49:14 AM---After considering various approaches to fixing the listing in Simon Nash ---03/17/2009 05:49:14 AM---After considering various approaches to fixing the listing in example 2b, I decided that replacing i

Simon Nash <oasis@cjnash.com>

OASIS Java <sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org>

03/17/2009 05:49 AM

[sca-j] JAVA-129: Proposed resolution

After considering various approaches to fixing the listing
in example 2b, I decided that replacing it by a table would be
the simplest way to present this information.

While going through the effective annotations for the methods
shown in the example, I realised that some of them are not
correct according to the JSR-250 rules.  The problems relate to
the (somewhat counterintuitive) JSR-250 rule that method-level
annotations have the effect of removing class-level annotations
of the same type from all methods of the class.

The attached proposal corrects this and points out the places
where this rule changes the effective annotation.

The attached Word document is intended as a complete replacement
for section 7.3.1.  It is based on the JavaCAA draft that we
adopted to resolve JAVA-104.

  Simon

Issue129Proposal.doc