Subject: Re: [sca-j] Raw chat log for April 3 SCA-J TC call

Bryan Aupperle wrote:

> I saw that statement as well but interpreted differently.  I took it to
> mean that any intents applied to an interface are necessarily applied to
> the service or reference using the interface.  This is not the same as
> requiring that the intents of an interface must be explicitly applied to
> implementation of a service using the interface.
>
> I understand your point about the similar principle implying that the
> intents would not need to be stated explicitly for the implementation,
> but I recall the conclusion we reached Friday was due to the fact that
> someone could remove the Java interface and use the implementation class
> to define the interface.  In this case, if the intents were not stated
> on the class, they would be lost (thus changing the contract) if the
> interface is replaced with the class for the interface definition.

The part I remembered was about the JSR 250 rules for interface method
annotations not propagating automatically to implementation methods.
Now that you mention it, I also recall this other part of the discussion.

The problem you mention is a Java-specific consequence of giving the
implementation class a role as an SCA service interface as well.
I hope (coming back to the original point you made) that this irregularity
doesn't apply to other languages.  I don't feel strongly either way, so
I'll amend my proposal for JAVA-98 to include this restriction.

   Simon