Subject: JAVA-98: Treatment of @PolicySets inconsistent with intent annotations

The proposed resolution to JAVA-98 covers general and specific intent
annotations but it does not cover the @PolicySets annotation.  This
creates some inconsistencies in the Java CAA and Java CI proposals
for resolving this issue because the intent sections have been updated
but the policySets sections have not.

The inconsistencies are as follows:

  1. In JavaCAA section 8.5, @PolicySets is allowed on all methods,
     with no restriction to interface methods.

  2. In JavaCAA section 8.5, nothing is said about how @PolicySets
     is handled if it appears on both an interface/class and methods
     of the interface/class.

  3. In JavaCI section 8, the description of the policySets attribute
     for a <service/> element is inconsistent with the description of
     the requires attribute (policySets is taken from the service interface
     and requires is taken from the implementation class).

  4. In JavaCI section 8, there is a description of when the requires
     attribute is applied to the implementation, but no description of
     when the policySets attribute is applied.

  5. In JavaCI section 8.1, there is a description of when the requires
     attribute is applied to the service, but the possibility of applying
     the policySets attribute is excluded.

  6. In JavaCI section 8.2, there is a description of when the requires
     attribute is applied to the reference, but the possibility of applying
     the policySets attribute is excluded.

I believe all the above inconsistencies should be corrected as part of
the resolution to JAVA-98.  I am therefore preparing alternative versions
of the Java CAA and Java CI proposals for JAVA-98 that make the treatment
of policy sets consistent with the treatment of intents.  I will post
these documents shortly.

   Simon