Subject: Re: [sca-j] JAVA-143: Proposed resolution

Folks,

I am OK with Simon's proposal to close this issue with no action.

However, thinking about the scenario, I believe that the whole thing is bogus in that it
conflates the concepts of "implementation instance" and "reference proxy to a service".

In reality, the second of these can exist without any of the former for the target service.

What I am saying is that a reference proxy to a service can be created based on static
configuration information from the SCA Domain and does not in itself require the existence
of any implementation instances of the component which implements the service.

Thus, such a proxy can be created and injected at any time once the Domain configuration
is known.

An implementation instance only need be created at the point where an operation of a service
implemented by that implementation is actually invoked..

This means that as long as the SCA Domain configuration is known, a reference proxy can
*always* be injected when an implementation instance is initialized.

Now, this does not get us away from the horrible case of a cyclic dependency between
two implementation classes where each one invokes operations on the other during intialization.
However, this I think is just the same as two implementation classes that invoke operations on
each other during regular processing.  If the code in the classes does not prevent it, then
the two will call each other ad infinitum and the SCA runtime is going to fail.

The one other case to discuss is where the SCA Domain configuration is NOT complete at the
point where a component implementation is initialized.  In this case, it can be literally impossible
to inject a meaningful reference proxy for the target of the reference since it may not exist in the
domain.  null is the right thing to inject in this circumstance.  Reinjection comes into play if
the SCA Domain configuration is later modified so that the target for the reference appears.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com