Subject: Re: [sca-j] Groups - Java CAA - Issue 1 Proposal - PDF (sca-javacaa-1.1-spec-cd02-rev3 Issue1 rev 5.pdf) uploaded

Here are my comments on this draft.  Line numbers are from the
PDF version.

  1. Line 1164: The type of the defaultFactoryFinder method should
     be the SPI interface SCAClientFactoryFinder, not the SCA-provided
     reference implementation class SCAClientFactoryFinderImpl.  This
     allows vendors to inject their own implementations of the SPI
     interface into this field.  This change also requires deleting
     line 1160 and updating line 1181.

  2. Lines 1234 - 1236: Replace this paragraph by the following text:
      Provides a means by which a provider of an SCAClientFactory
      implementation can inject a factory finder implementation into
      the abstract SCAClientFactory class - once this is done, future
      invocations of the SCAClientFactory use the injected factory
      finder to locate and return an instance of a subclass of
      SCAClientFactory.

  3. Line 1252: Change "implementation of the SCAClientFactory interface"
     to "implementation of an SCAClientFactory subclass".

  4. Line 1266: Change "SCARuntimeException" to "ServiceRuntimeException".
     This change also needs to be made in a number of other places in
     the SCAClientFactoryFinderImpl code.

  5. The duplication of code between sections 8.8 / 8.9 / 8.10 / 8.11
     and B.1.1 / B.1.2 / B.1.3 / B.1.4 needs to be resolved.  There is
     currently about 95% overlap which is the worst of all possible worlds.

     Having this code duplicated (with minor differences) in different
     parts of the same specification document is redundant and confusing,
     increases the maintenance burden, creates unnecessary opportunities
     for accidental inconsistency, and is not consistent with what we do
     for the other API interfaces, classes and annotations.  It also makes
     it hard to see the information at the start of sections B.1.2, B.1.3
     and B.1.4 about about how vendors should use these APIs and SPIs.

     I think the best approach is to document the normative APIs
     SCAClient, SCAClientFactory and SCAClientFactoryFinder only in
     chapter 8, and the non-normative reference implementation
     SCAClientFactoryFinderImpl only in Appendix B.  This may require
     a forward pointer from chapter 8 to Appendix B.

  6. The code in appendix B has the same issues described in comments
     1 and 4 above.

  7. Lines 2570: This incorrectly describes the SCAFactoryFinder class
     as a reference implementation.  Replace the first sentence by:
     SCA provides an abstract base class SCAClientFactory.

  8. Line 2571: Singular/plural confusion.  Replace the second sentence
     of the paragraph by: Vendors can provide subclasses of this class
     which create objects that implement...."

  9. The comment text in lines 2597 - 2601 of Appendix B has the same
     issues described in comment 2 above.

10. Section B.1.5 needs to be updated to be consistent with the recent
     changes to SCAClientFactoryFinder.  Specifically, option 3 of the
     second bullet needs to talk about injecting an instance of the
     SCAClientFactoryFinder interface that implements the find() method
     to return a vendor implementation instance of SCAClientFactory.

   Simon