Subject: Re: [sca-j] ISSUE-179: Need type support for @Property when used with SDO

Hi,

I have a few comments/questions here.

1) JAXB is part of JDK since version 1.6. Does sca-j spec mandate JDK 6?

2) It seems to me that you propose to use JAXB as the canonical databinding. If SDO or other databindings (such as DOM) is used, then the application developer is responsible for mapping it to JAXB. If an application developer is required to generate JAXB classes, why SDO is chosen in the first place?

3) I like Dave's original proposal better as it allows us to configure/customize the Java types with XML information in a databinding-agnostic way, when such metadata cannot be acquired by introspection.  The SCA runtime can then use that in the databinding-specific typing system (such as JAXBContext or SDO HelperContext).

Initially I also thought of adopting JAXB annotations such as XmlSchemaType, XmlAttribute, XmlElement, XmlAnyElement, XmlAnyAttribute to supply the XSD type/element/attribute for java types. But it seemed to be a bit strange that we use one databinding (JAXB) to describe another databinding.

Thanks,
Raymond

Raymond Feng
Senior Software Engineer, Apache Tuscany PMC Member & Committer

IBM Bay Area Lab, 1001 E Hillsdale Blvd, Suite 400, Foster City, CA 94404, USA
E-mail
:
rfeng@us.ibm.com, Notes: Raymond Feng/Burlingame/IBM, Tel: 650-645-8117, T/L: 367-8117
Apache Tuscany