Subject: Re: [sca-j] Can we use method-level Intent/PolicySet annotations in the java component implementation class to express implementation QoS requirements?

On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:27 AM, David Booz wrote:

> Honestly, I don't feel strongly either way. We have to be careful
> with transactions because they can create tight coupling between
> services. Different transaction behaviors for each method doesn't
> strike me as a central focus for SOA style interfaces. Such an
> interface would limit the possible alternative interfaces which
> could connect to it, thus making it a fine grained interface and not
> appropriate for a SOA. That said, I recognize that there are varying
> degrees of interpretation on what's appropriate in SOA interfaces.
>
> EJB3 is a very good fine grained model which supports different use
> cases than SCA.
>
> Are there other opinions?

It's probably no surprise I think SCA needs to support this style of
interaction. While having different transactional behavior for
operations on the same interface (contract) generally isn't a good
design, it is important to remember SCA also has a fine-grained
component model and there are situations where this behavior may be
needed.  As a comparison, .NET/WCF allows this type of behavior.

Jim