Subject: ISSUE-192: JAX-WS annotations imply a WSDL based binding (binding.ws)

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-192

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for David Booz---11/12/2009 11:20:31 AM---TARGET: SCA POJO spec cd01-rev2+issue184 resolution DESCRIPTIONDavid Booz---11/12/2009 11:20:31 AM---TARGET: SCA POJO spec cd01-rev2+issue184 resolution DESCRIPTION:

David Booz/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS

sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org

11/12/2009 11:20 AM

[sca-j] NEW ISSUE: JAX-WS annotations imply a WSDL based binding (binding.ws)

TARGET: SCA POJO spec cd01-rev2+issue184 resolution

ISSUE-184 [1] was recently resolved by adding a mapping of how JAX-WS annotations affected the introspected componentType of a Java component. There is an additional aspect of that mapping which was not addressed, and that's the question of whether or not some or all of the annotations imply a WSDL based SCA binding (i.e. binding.ws).

Recall that ISSUE-184 addressed cases where the SOAP intent is added to the introspected componentType. The Policy FW does not allow a component to override this intent, so while that will force a binding choice that provides SOAP messages, it does not force the transport over which the SOAP messages flow. So, are there JAX-WS annotations which require or presume the use of a SOAP/HTTP transport? I think there are.

The @BindingType annotation specifies the WSDL binding that a service implementation wants to use. The even more interesting part is that in the absence of this annotation (e.g. there's only an @WebService or @WebServiceProvider annotation in the class) then the default is SOAP1.1/HTTP transport.

PROPOSAL:
None.

I'll note that introspecting a <binding.ws/> into the componentType DOES NOT prevent a component above it from changing to a different binding (as long as the SOAP intent is obeyed). Configurability is good, but at least we'd have the right default behavior.

A question we have to ask: does this mean we ALWAYS have to introspect a SOAP intent into the componentType when there's @WebService or @WebServiceProvider? The ISSUE-184 resolution doesn't quite do this.

[1]
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-184