Subject: Raw Chat from Today's Call

Dave Booz: agenda: 1. Roll call

2. Scribe appointment
Scribe list attached below

3. Agenda bashing

4. Meeting Minutes
Minutes of 2010-11-08 telcon
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/40157/SCA%20Java%20Minutes%202010-11-08.doc

5. TC Administrivia
a. Recording issue status - 12 open, 1 new
b. Status of new CSD/PR for CAA-spec/POJO-spec/POJO-TA/POJO-TC

6. ACTION ITEMS

2009-07-17-01: Mike to create an example of the componentType introspection (JAVA-5
PENDING

2010-04-12-01: Dave B to check availability of an appropriate runtime supporting the EJB Binding
PENDING

2010-06-14-01: Mike/Anish to provide proposal for Issue JAVA-182 and prepare a CD
PENDING

2010-11-08-01: Anish to engage with the TC admin to get the CSDs published and the PRs initiated
DONE

2010-11-08-02: Mike to produce comments on issues 217-221
PENDING

7. New Issues (requires 2/3)
a. JAVA-222 Abstract of POJO test case doc has cut and paste errors
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-222

8. Issues with proposals
NONE

9. Issues waiting for updated proposals (Spring/EJB/JEE)

a. JAVA-217 Weak design: Target is often not well identified, in several TAs
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-217

b. JAVA-218 Target is often too fine-grain, leading to convoluted references
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-218

c. JAVA-219 Some spec requirements may need more than one TA
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-219

d. JAVA-220 Target should not be an "event", but an identifiable entity
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-220

e. JAVA-221 Stronger use of "tags" might help classify TAs based on targets
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-221

f. JAVA-109: Property and reference names computed from SCA annotations in web modules not specified explicitly
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-109
Proposal in Jira
Waiting for updated proposal (Vamsi)

g. JAVA-182: SCA Spring C & I specs needs to refactor text under abstract and introduction
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-182
No proposal (Ram)

h. JAVA-174: Consider portlets in the SCA JEE specification
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-174

i. JAVA-91: Java EE Spec: Need to define the derivation of the name of a component contributed to the Domain by an application.composite file
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-91
Waiting for updated proposal (Mike)

j. JAVA-93: JEE Integration spec needs to define how effective CT is calculated
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-93
Waiting for updated proposal (Anish)

k. JAVA-108: RFC2119 Language is needed for the SCA-JEE Specification
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-108
Waiting for updated proposal

l. JAVA-88: Java EE Spec: The @archive attribute of the implementation.jee element needs fixing
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-88
No proposal
Plamen to check whether on his informal JEE issues list

10. AOB
a. straggler role

11. Spec status

CAA (part of 1st batch of 1.1 specs):
0 open issue, 1st PR done, CSD05 expected to be final CSD
1st impl: Tuscany (compliant), 2nd impl: ??
TA: CD01 PR ended 2010-10-24, 0 open issue, CSD02 expected to be final CSD
TC: CD01 PR ended 2010-10-24, 0 open issue, CSD02 expected to be final CSD

POJO (part of 1st batch of 1.1 specs):
0 open issues, 1st PR done, CSD03 expected to be final CSD
1st impl: Tuscany (compliant), 2nd impl: ??
TA: WD stage, no CSD yet, 60 day PR needed
TC: WD stage, no CSD yet, 60 day PR needed

EJB Binding (not part of 1st batch of 1.1 specs):
0 open issues, 1st PR done, CSD03 expected to be final CSD
1st impl: ??, 2nd impl: ??
TA: WD stage, no CSD yet, 60 day PR needed
TC: WD stage, no CSD yet, 60 day PR needed

Spring C&I (not part of 1st batch of 1.1 specs):
1 open issues, WD stage, no CSD yet, 60 day PR needed
1st impl: ??, 2nd impl: ??
TA: no work done
TC: no work done

JEE (not part of 1st batch of 1.1 specs):
6 open issues, WD stage (not actively worked on), no CSD yet, 60 day PR needed
1st impl: ??, 2nd impl: ??
TA: no work done
TC: no work done

Scribe list:
Plamen Pavlov: 3
Ashok Malhotra: 20
Anish Karmarkar: 18 (Last scribed: 2010-09-13)
Mike Edwards: 21 (Last scribed: 2010-10-1
Bryan Aupperle: 27 (Last scribed: 2010-10-25)
Martin Chapman: 20 (Last scribed: 2010-11-01)
Dave Booz: 3 (Last scribed: 2010-11-0
anish: 5 out of 7 present
Ashok (Oracle): scribe:  Ashok
Ashok (Oracle): Agenda Review
Ashok (Oracle): No changes to agenda
Ashok (Oracle): 4. Meeting Minutes
Minutes of 2010-11-08 telcon
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/40157/SCA%20Java%20Minutes%202010-11-08.doc
Ashok (Oracle): No objections.  Minutes approved.
Ashok (Oracle): 5. TC Administrivia
a. Recording issue status - 12 open, 1 new
b. Status of new CSD/PR for CAA-spec/POJO-spec/POJO-TA/POJO-TC
Ashok (Oracle): There is a formal webpage for PR review.
Ashok (Oracle): Mary is working on request.  She may be able to get to it tomorrow.
Ashok (Oracle): 6. ACTION ITEMS

2009-07-17-01: Mike to create an example of the componentType introspection (JAVA-5
PENDING

2010-04-12-01: Dave B to check availability of an appropriate runtime supporting the EJB Binding
PENDING

2010-06-14-01: Mike/Anish to provide proposal for Issue JAVA-182 and prepare a CD
PENDING

2010-11-08-01: Anish to engage with the TC admin to get the CSDs published and the PRs initiated
DONE

2010-11-08-02: Mike to produce comments on issues 217-221
PENDING
Ashok (Oracle): Anish has done 2010-11-08-01
Ashok (Oracle): 7. New Issues (requires 2/3)
a. JAVA-222 Abstract of POJO test case doc has cut and paste errors
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-222
Ashok (Oracle): Bryan moves to open issue 222.  Dave seconds
Ashok (Oracle): No objections.  Issue opened.
Mike Edwards: +1 from me
Ashok (Oracle): Bryan moves to resolve 222 by replacing 'Assembly' with 'POJO Component Implementation'
Ashok (Oracle): Bryan: Same problem in Section 1 line 24
Ashok (Oracle): Bryan:  Amends motion to include section 1.
Ashok (Oracle): Ashok seconds
Ashok (Oracle): No objection to amendment.  Amendment approved.
Ashok (Oracle): No objection to main motion.  Issue 222 is resolved.
Ashok (Oracle): ACTION:  Anish to create PR components in JIRA
Ashok (Oracle): 9. Issues waiting for updated proposals (Spring/EJB/JEE)
Ashok (Oracle): Anish:  Let us discuss and see what we need for the issue
Ashok (Oracle): a. JAVA-217 Weak design: Target is often not well identified, in several TAs
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-217
Mike Edwards: I disagree with the comments made in 217
Ashok (Oracle): Statements are about the artifacts not the runtime.  So, I would not change the
Ashok (Oracle): assertions in the manner that Jacques recommends
Ashok (Oracle): Anish agrees with Jacques
Ashok (Oracle): Discussion about what the target of assertion is
Ashok (Oracle): DaveB:  Seems arbitrary.  Not inclined to debate this.
Ashok (Oracle): Anish:  We can ask Jacques to be specific about which assertions are involved
Bryan Aupperle: The CAA spec identifies three conformance targets: a runtime, XML documents and Java classes.  All three thus can be considered implementing the spec. and thus valid TA targets.
Ashok (Oracle): Anish:  MikeE, could you send mail to Jacques telling him your views
Ashok (Oracle): MikeE agrees to send mail
Ashok (Oracle): ISSUE 218
Ashok (Oracle): MikeE:  All he has done is change the English of the target.  His example is a poor one.
Ashok (Oracle): Bryan:  I don't think his suggestion improves the document.
Ashok (Oracle): Anish:  I like the way we have it.  Target should be fine-grained.
Ashok (Oracle): Bryan moves to close 218 with no action.  MikeE seconds.
Ashok (Oracle): No objection.  Issue 218 is closed with no action.
Ashok (Oracle): MikeE:  I can reply to Jacques re 218 also.
Ashok (Oracle): Issue 219
Ashok (Oracle): MikeE:  I don't agree.  He is talking about the positive and negative versions of the test.
Mike Edwards: I got cut off - redialling
Ashok (Oracle): Bryan:  We have done this as appropriate
Ashok (Oracle): Bryan moves to close 219 with no action.  DaveB seconds.
Ashok (Oracle): No objection.  Issue 219 is closed with no action.
Ashok (Oracle): MikeE will respond re. 219 also
Ashok (Oracle): Issue 220
Dave Booz: JCA20009: The SCA runtime MAY use by-reference semantics when passing input parameters, return values or
234 exceptions on calls to remotable services within the same JVM if both the service method implementation
235 and the service proxy used by the client are marked allows pass by reference. [JCA20009]
Ashok (Oracle): Bryan:  I understand the point in this case but not sure I like the proposed resolution.
Ashok (Oracle): Anish:  Needs more discussion
Ashok (Oracle): Straggler roll:  Plamen is here
Ashok (Oracle): COB
--
All the best, Ashok