Subject: Re: Fwd: Issue 227: conformance section

Folks,

I would not separate the Positive and Negative tests in the way Anish proposes.  I see no purpose in this.

Each testcase has some expected output - whether some positive response or an exception - and the thing
that matters is that the actual response matches the expectation.

A further problem with the proposed wording is that "appropriate exceptions" is a misleading thing in that only in a subset of
cases is the exception specific - in other cases a general exception is all that the spec describes.  Also, for many of the cases
where a SPECIFIC exception is expected, it usually involves cases where the Java API is being used - and in these cases
the testcase catches the exception in the code under test and validates that it is the correct exception - reporting back to the
test client a POSITIVE response typically along the lines "TEST_xxxx expected FooBar exception received"    ;-)

So I'd prefer a simpler set of words:

"An implementation that claims to conform to this specification MUST be able to run all applicable Tests in
Section 2 TestCases, producing the Expected Output.

Note that conforming to this specification is considered a necessary
though not a sufficient condition to conform to the [POJO] specification.
"

Yours, Mike

Dr Mike Edwards  Mail Point 146, Hursley Park
STSM  Winchester, Hants SO21 2JN
SCA & Services Standards  United Kingdom
Co-Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC
IBM Software Group
Phone: +44-1962 818014
Mobile: +44-7802-467431 (274097)