Subject: [sca-j] Plan for getting CSDs with dependencies published

[Resending, as I have the incorrect tcadmin email address in the 1st
try. Apologies]

Hi,

Per our call this week [1], I've including below a plan for publishing
four of our specs that have dependencies on other approved but
as-yet-unpublished OASIS specs, as CSDs. This plan, I believe, complies
with the recent email [2] sent by the TCAdmin. Per Martin Chapman's
suggestion, I'm cc'ing the TAB and the TCAdmin as they are meeting this
week and may be able to advise us on the plan as well as make tweaks to
the process doc, if necessary.

Issue:

The SCA-J TC has four WDs that are (almost) ready for publication as CSDs:
1) SCA-J Common Annotations and APIs (CAA)
2) TestCases for SCA-J Common Annotation and APIs (TC4CAA)
2) SCA-J POJO Component Implementation specification (POJO)
3) SCA-J POJO Complement Implementation testcases (TC4POJO)

TC4CAA and POJO normatively reference CAA. TC4POJO normatively
references POJO. In addition, both the CAA and POJO specs normatively
reference SCA Assembly and SCA Policy specifications concurrently being
developed in the SCA-Assembly and SCA-Policy TCs. The SCA-Assembly and
SCA-Policy dependencies are on CSDs that have been approved by the
respective TCs and are in the TCAdmin queue, but are not published yet.
Fortunately, the reference directed dependency graph is acyclic.

The TC would like to approve all four CSDs listed above in the same
meeting and have them be published as such, at the same time or as close
to each other as practicable. This requires that either the normative
reference section of the WDs be updated after the TC approval OR that
the WDs approved by the TC include references to specifications that
will be published in the future. In the proposal below, I have chosen
the latter option.

Proposal:

Since the specs do not have mutual dependencies and since the URLs of
as-yet-unpublished CSDs are entirely predictable thanks to the strict
OASIS naming guidelines, I would like to suggest that we solve this
problem as follows:

1) Since the URLs, names, status of the specs in question are
predictable or fixed, have the editors update all the normative
references in all the four specs to the latest expected (after approval)
CSD URLs. This means that
a) the CAA and POJO spec will reference the latest approved (but not
published -- it is in the TCAdmin queue) assembly
(http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-assembly/sca-assembly-1.1-spec-csd08.pdf)
and policy
(http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-policy/sca-policy-1.1-spec-cd05.pdf)
specs. Note that these URLs are not currently 'alive' but will be when
the TCAdmin processes the corresponding request in the TCAdmin queue.
b) TC4CAA and POJO spec will reference the latest about to be approved
CAA spec
(http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-j/sca-javacaa-1.1-spec-csd06.pdf).
Again this URL is not currently 'alive'.
c) TC4POJO will reference the latest about to be approved CAA spec
(http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-j/sca-javaci-1.1-spec-csd04.pdf). Again
this URL is not currently 'alive'.

2) After TC approval and after the four requests are filed by the chair
for publication of the new CSDs, the chair will update all the four
corresponding JIRA issues to record the dependencies between various
JIRA issues.

Additional process document issue for the TAB/TCAdmin to consider:

This problem is solved in the process document via the designated
cross-references [3]. But DCRs apply only to CN/CS/OS; CSDs are
explicitly excluded.

Thanks.

-Anish Karmarkar
SCA-J TC co-Chair.