Subject: Re: [sca-policy] EXternal Policy Attachment -- Issue 15

Folks,

First some comments on the proposal:

I think my main concerns over the proposal relates to the "big picture" of where the ExternalPolicyAssociations live and
how they get applied to SCDL files in contributions in the domain.  This is unclear in the current proposal.

The sorts of questions I have are along these lines:

1) Can I include ExternalPolicyAssociations in one contribution and have them apply to SCDL within other contributions
without having to say anything about them in the target contributions?

Perhaps some folk don't want to see this level of function, but it does serve one purpose: that of the deployer being
able to impose a set of policies across the board with minimal effort.

2) Do the ExternalPolicyAssociations target FILES or XML ELEMENTS in specific namespaces.  This is left very
unclear.  I can potentially see the desirabiity of both types of addressing.

3) The XPath targetting expressions work beautifully for targets that are XML, and I note that Ashok gives an example where
aspects of an interface expressed as WSDL are targeted.  However, what if the interface were expressed as Java?
I note that our current clumsy system of addressing operations within interfaces within the SCDL does allow any interface
type to be addressed.  This system does not - it seems limited to WSDL.

4) What happens if the external policy attachment(s) clash either with each other OR with any existing policy metadata
already attached to the target element(s).?

- in my opinion, it's simply an error if the attachments violate an intent already present on the target
- we can make it a rule that any policies and policy sets applied in this way override any already attached to the target
- I don't know what to do if two external attachments end up targeting the same element(s) - do they both apply, or do
we aim to provide a disambiguation rule, or do we simply flag an error?

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

ashok malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>

02/01/2008 16:53
Please respond to
ashok.malhotra@oracle.com

OASIS Policy <sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[sca-policy] EXternal Policy Attachment -- Issue 15

I'm attaching a revised proposal for External Policy Attachment.
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/POLICY-15
This assumes that the External Attachment file refers to the SCDL files
it applies to by QName.
I have some questions about this but Dave assures me that that's how it is.
--
All the best, Ashok
[attachment "External SCA Policy Attachment - v2.doc" deleted by Mike Edwards/UK/IBM] ---------------------------------------------------------------------