Subject: Re: [sca-policy] ISSUE 15: External Attachment - AI 20080331-01

Folks,

I can never resist a word-smithing challenge   ;-)

"All components will have an @uri attribute which contains the URI
of the component. The URI reflects a particular use of the component
- a component within a composite is potentially present multiple times
in the Domain, where its composite is used as an implementation
by more than one higher level component. The URI is constructed by
recursively concatenating the component URI of each component in the
implementation hierarchy above it. This makes it possible to write
XPath expressions that target a single instance of a nested component."

...what provoked me to this rewording was that single word "buried" towards the end of Dave's proposal,
which touched a nerve somewhere....

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

David Booz <booz@us.ibm.com>

01/04/2008 16:29

sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[sca-policy] ISSUE 15: External Attachment - AI 20080331-01

I took an AI to resolve a seemingly minor wording problem in the current
Policy ISSUE 15 proposal.

The paragraph in question is this:

     All components will have @uri attributes (not just domain-level
     components), which contain the URI of the component. The URI will
     contain path elements from all of the composites that the component
     is embedded under. This makes it possible to write XPath expressions
     that target a single buried component.

The sentence in question is trying to say the component URI is constructed
by concatenating the component URI of each component in the implementation
hierarchy.  So this leads me to:

     All components will have @uri attributes (not just domain-level
     components), which contain the URI of the component. The URI is
     constructed by recursively concatenating the component URI of each
     component in the implementation hierarchy above it. This makes it
     possible to write XPath expressions that target a single buried
     component.

On the call we discussed the need for a short phrase or word that means 'a
component that is implemented by a composite'.  Some suggestions have been
floated, none were good IMHO.  I'm side stepping that discussion with this
proposal. :-)

This complete my AI.

Dave Booz
STSM, SCA and WebSphere Architecture
Co-Chair OASIS SCA-Policy TC
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093  or  8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com
http://washome.austin.ibm.com/xwiki/bin/view/SCA2Team/WebHome