Subject: Issue 15 - Wording Proposal for Section 4.10

Folks,

This email is my part of action item 20080421-01, which was to produce a writeup of section 4.10 based on
the proposed interpretation of Issue 15 for External Attachment.

My proposal is based on the idea that there is no "pull" mechanism - ie that with the external attachment mechanism
available, there is no need for mechanics to "fetch" policy sets from some "Domain level cloud" down to a particular
element carrying an intent.

My proposal also makes the following assumptions:

1. Intents cannot be applied externally.
2. Only PolicySets can be applied externally.
3. PolicySets identify which intent(s) they satisfy
4. The external attachment mechanism must still satisfy the required intents for a given element

It is clear from this list of assumptions that I am disagreeing with aspects of Ashok's proposal for Issue 15.
In particular, Ashok's proposal undermines the concept of "PolicySet" by allowing external attachment of
individual random policies, which cannot associated with any intent.  I don't favour this idea.

My proposal DOES keep the concept of "inheriting" PolicySets from SCDL ancestor elements.  I have toyed
with the idea of completely scrapping the attachment of PolicySets directly in SCDL, but I am concerned that
this may remove an important "simple" use case.  However, I would be open to trashing this function if
someone feels strongly about it.

This text is based on the sca-policy-1.1-spec-cd-01_Issue38_Proposal.doc produced for the resolution of
Issue 38:

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

Unless stated otherwise above:

Issue_15_Intents_and_PolicySets.doc