Subject: Re: [sca-policy] Issue 27 - operation attachment of policy - proposal

I didn't make any schema changes. After I opened WD05, I accepted all
changes (to make my changes easier to find) and then made updates as per
the AI in sections 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6.  I'm not sure where the changes in the
schema section came from.  Interestingly, Word has my name on the changes.
I have no idea what's going on there. I did not intend to change anything
below the changes I already mentioned.

And now on to the meat.  I am with you on scrapping the operation element
all together from SCDL.  I proposed (b) in the past as the resolution to
this issue, but no one was receptive.  I'm happy to revisit (very happy).

Dave Booz
STSM, SCA and WebSphere Architecture
Co-Chair OASIS SCA-Policy TC
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093  or  8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com
http://washome.austin.ibm.com/xwiki/bin/view/SCA2Team/WebHome

             Mike Edwards
             <mike_edwards@uk.
             ibm.com>                                                   To
                                       "OASIS Policy"
             06/19/2008 06:06          <sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [sca-policy] Issue 27 -
                                       operation attachment of policy -
                                       proposal

Folks,

I seem to be developing into "critic in chief", which seems terribly
negative - and I'm not picking on Dave, either :

The document that Dave provides here is fine - my only query is about some
changes in the XSD section at the
end, which I can't quite fathom - are these just some trivial formatting
changes or is there something deeper here?

My negative sentiments are about the need to do this operation level stuff
at all.  We are quietly creating an SCA
interface definition language here.  I also really baulk at the "operation"
elements turning up both under <service/>
and <reference/> but also under <binding/>.

My proposal is to scrap these operation elements altogether.  The
capability is then provided in two ways:

a) in the interface definition itself through annotations (we have these
already)

b) through the external attachment mechanism - we're structuring the
"pointer" mechanics of this to provide both
operation and message level attachment.

This should be enough, why do we need a third way to do the same thing?

So, for use cases:

1) Where I control the interface documents, I annotate them in whatever way
is necessary.  Simple, job done.

2) Where I don't control the interface documents, I use the external
attachment mechanism to provide the necessary
policy attachments from the outside, wiithout needing to mess with the
documents.

I note that the second case can deal with both "global attachment" (ie
every use of interface X gets this policy attached
to this operation/message)  and also "specific attachment" (ie when
interface X is used on this particular service/reference/
component, attach this policy to this operation/message).

I think I said some of this at the F2F, but perhaps it was not very
coherent - perhaps this black and white makes it clearer.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

 David Booz
 <booz@us.ibm.com>

 18/06/2008 20:20                         sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                          [sca-policy] Issue 27 -
                                          operation attachment of policy -
                                          proposal

This closes my AI from the June 6 Face to face regarding Issue 27.

(See attached file: Issue27_proposal_on_wd-05.doc)

Dave Booz
STSM, SCA and WebSphere Architecture
Co-Chair OASIS SCA-Policy TC
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093  or  8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com
http://washome.austin.ibm.com/xwiki/bin/view/SCA2Team/WebHome[attachment
"Issue27_proposal_on_wd-05.doc" deleted by Mike Edwards/UK/IBM]