Subject: Re: [sca-policy] [ISSUE 15] External attachment - Alternative Proposal

Ashok,

Replies inline marked as <mje>...</mje>

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

ashok malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>

21/07/2008 23:03
Please respond to
ashok.malhotra@oracle.com

Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
OASIS Policy <sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
Re: [sca-policy] [ISSUE 15] External attachment - Alternative Proposal

Hi Mike:
In addition to the lifecycle issues that Rich has raised, I would like
to bring up a few high-level questions
re. you proposal for issue 15.

1. We can extend the policySet syntax to accommodate policy attachment
but we also need a file format.
This is for the file that contains the policySets and can be included in
a contribution.

<mje>
I note that the current spec doesn't have this today - and I agree that it needs to be added.

We can either include PolicySets within <definitions/> (no new files needed...) or we can create
a new PolicyDefinitions file.  I have no strong feelings on this.
</mje>

2. I raised the usecase for corporate policies which, under the existing
specification could be merely included at some
high level and then pulled in as needed.  Under the new proposal this
needs a bit more work.  I would like to see
the details for this fleshed out.

<mje>
Not sure I see the problem here.

Take the corporate policies and contribute them to the Domain.

Provide some corporate level attachment definitions for those policy files, like

//service/binding.ws
//reference/binding.ws
//service/binding.ws/IntentRefs("confidentiality")
</mje>

3. Policies on interfaces

a. interface.wsdl is identified by a URI that points to a definitions
file.  If we want to attach policies to individual interface
elements such as a operation or a message, we should use the WSDL
fragment identifier syntax as used by binding.ws.

<mje>
I proposed using some functions for this
- InterfaceRef
- OperationRef
- MessageRef

- sounds like you're not happy with this approach

How would the fragment identifier proposal work?   Do you have some examples?
In what ways is it better than my proposal?
</mje>

b. A common usecase may be "apply this policy to this binding and this
interface".  This would require an XPath function
that identifies a wsdl interface which has as a sibling a particular
binding.  This is not a simple XPath function to
write.  We need an existence proof.

<mje>
Any peer based stuff is hard to write in XPath - but I find it hard to believe that
it is not possible to write one.

You're asking for a specific example, right?
</mje>

c. In the above usecase, what does the policy get attached to?  The
binding or the interface element or some combination?
If it is attached to the interface it applies to all sibling bindings,
which may not be what we want.

<mje>
Logically it gets attached to the interface, operation or message as used by the
specific binding identified (if any).

The rule must be that the binding gets picked first - and that if any binding is OK, then
//service is used rather than //service/binding.ws (etc)
</mje>

You will recall that this is the reason Mike Rowley wanted to munge the
domain interface in unnatural ways.  But we still
need to solve the problem.

<mje>
Agreed - and I think that the proposal does solve that
</mje>

All the best, Ashok