Subject: Fw: ISSUE 56: Intents which conflict with binding configuration - Proposal(update)

I knew I shouldn't have undertaken this on a Friday. I forgot the other half of the words. I updated them below.

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com
----- Forwarded by David Booz/Poughkeepsie/IBM on 09/26/2008 03:51 PM -----

David Booz/Poughkeepsie/IBM

sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org

09/26/2008 03:49 PM

ISSUE 56: Intents which conflict with binding configuration - Proposal

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/POLICY-56

DESCRIPTION: The SCA Bindings TC discovered that none of the SCA specs explicitly say that when a policy intent (or policySet for that matter) conflicts with a binding configuration, then an error should be raised or flagged in some way. See http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-36 for a description of an example of such a conflict. This issue was resolved in the binding TC with some text that states such a conflict to be an error:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-bindings/download.php/28233/sca%20bindings%20minutes%202008-05-08.doc.

PROPOSAL:

It was difficult to find the right place for this statement. I am proposing that we insert the following after line 200 [1].

Intents are not used to override binding configurations. If there is a conflict between an intent and a binding configuration, the SCA Runtime MUST raise an error. For example, a web service binding which requires the SOAP intent, but which points to a WSDL binding that does not specify SOAP.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-policy/download.php/29457/sca-policy-1%5B1%5D.1-spec-wd-07.pdf