Subject: Re: [sca-policy] ISSUE 46: How to configure policySets - Please review

Thanks for the review, some of these issues were non-trival, even with line numbers and text already established in resolutions so I appreciate the extra set of eyes. I'll respond in-line on 46.

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Mike Edwards ---10/20/2008 06:04:46 AM---Dave, Well done for producing this new draft.Mike Edwards ---10/20/2008 06:04:46 AM---Dave, Well done for producing this new draft.

Mike Edwards <mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com>

"OASIS Policy" <sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org>

10/20/2008 06:04 AM

Re: [sca-policy] ISSUE 46: How to configure policySets - Please review

Dave,

Well done for producing this new draft.

Regarding Issue 46 - clearly the meat of this change is actually destined for the Assembly TC since it is a change to the main SCA
namespace XSD - and quite an extensive set of changes too. I'm happy to help draw up that updated XSD for submission to the
Assembly TC.
<dab> Yes and thanks. Once we get some agreed words in policy there will be quite extensive changes to assembly. </dab>

However, here are some points I note in the application of Issue 46 in the Policy Spec 09 draft:

1) Line 758 - the new child element is called <policySetAttachment/>. This is incorrect according to both the original proposal and
the meeting minutes which record the resolution. It should be called <policySet/>. Of course, this affects a few other places later
in the updated spec too.
<dab> The problem is that there is already a policySet element in the SCA namespace so I had to create a new element name for the new global element. This is one of the reasons why the initial direction agreed by the policy TC has a problem. I am not married to <policySetAttachment/> as the name, so other suggestions are welcome. </dab>

2) Line 778 - the proposal has the <policySet/> element with two attributes- @name and @select. There is no description of the
@select attribute here (or anywhere else that I can see). It would be a good idea to have pseudo-schema for the <policySet/>
element
<dab> The direction agreed in the policy TC (as per the minutes) did not mention @select nor do I recall any discussion of it in the F2F meeting, so I made the assumption, perhaps incorrectly that it shouldn't be part of the solution. In looking now at @select from the JIRA proposal, I don't think we need it. Intents can still be attached to the parent element of <policySetAttachment/> which would condition the intentMaps exactly as they do today for @policySet. </dab>

This affects the schema in lines 2676-2680 also.

3) Line 782 is unnecessary as a normative statement. Let me motivate why this is so.
Basically, the SCA specs should all claim that ANY SCA runtime should honour a composite file (or other file such as definitions) that
conforms to the SCA XSD(s). Only conformance points that cannot be captured in XSD need to be spelled out separately as normative
statements.
In this case, the XSD shows both a @policySets attribute and a <policySet/> child element. The XSD allows both. An extra normative
statement is only required if using one prevented the use of the other - - which is not the case here. The only thing that needs to be said
is that any policySet(s) specified in the @policySets attribute are added to the policySets(s) specified in the <policySets/> child element.

I suggest the following is used to replace 782/783:

"Where an element has both a @policySets attribute and a <policySets/> child element, the policySets declared by both apply to the
element."
<dab> Fine with me. See also lines 1497-1498 where this same thought is repeated within the algorithm.

A suggestion that I would like to make is that once these adjustments are made, we create a clean version of the spec and call it CD-02
(call for a formal vote to declare it a CD), given that this contains a whole series of significant updates from the original CD-01.
<dab> That was my motivation for WD09. </dab>

Yours, Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014 Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email: mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com