Subject: Re: [sca-policy] Suggested wording for issue 32

Ashok,

I'm just not getting this proposal - I'd appreciate some help in understanding what it really means.

So the new proposal has 2 intents:

serverAuthentication
mutualAuthentication

- and it sounds as if mutualAuthentication includes serverAuthentication - true?

Can you give me an idea of some examples of concrete policies that these would turn into for common
communication protocols such as Web services or JMS?

I can see plenty of support for clients to deliver authentication data to servers (WS-Security mechanisms
for example) but the support for client authentication of servers is less clear to me.  And the tying together
of the two implied by "mutualAuthentication" does not seem obvious from the concrete mechanisms that
I find in WS-Security.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com