Subject: Re: [sca-policy] How do intent names get into the SCA namespace?

I don't think we wanted them in the SCA namespace, but we wanted them in whatever namespace the containing definitions document prescribed.

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for ashok malhotra ---02/04/2009 05:24:47 PM---I was given an action item to investigate how intent namesashok malhotra ---02/04/2009 05:24:47 PM---I was given an action item to investigate how intent names ( qualified and unqualified) get into th

ashok malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>

OASIS Policy <sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org>

02/04/2009 05:24 PM

[sca-policy] How do intent names get into the SCA namespace?

I was given an action item to investigate how intent names ( qualified
and unqualified) get into the SCA namespace?
Strictly speaking, namespaces collect only the names of elements defined
in a XML Schema in the namespace declared in the schema.  However, there
are many other situations where names need to be collected in a
namespace.  Currently, the way to do so is to just say so!

Some years ago, I authored a spec that defined functions and operators
to be defined on XQuery and XPath 2.0.
We wanted to get the function names into a namespace so we could refer
to them using the QName syntax such as fn:add.  So, what did we do?  We
wrote text that said, in effect, these functions are in this namespace.

So, what I recommend is that we add a statement in the SCA Policy
Framework spec that says, in the section that introduces intents: "names
of intents, both qualified and unqualified defined in this specification
are included in the general SCA namespace ..."

FWIW:  There is a spec working its way through W3C that would allow any
collection of names to be included in a namespace and referred to using
the QName syntax but it is not a spec yet and so we cannot rely on it.
--
All the best, Ashok