Subject: Re: [sca-policy] Suggested wording for POLICY-83

Hi Ashok,

Something about this issue was bugging me last night, so I did some investigation in the spec this AM. Looking at CD02/PRD, line 1451 (in the section which normalizes attached intents into a required intent set), I found this statement:
"and where any unqualified qualifiable intents are replaced with the default qualified form of that intent, according to the default qualifier in the definition of the intent."

While it doesn't read quite right, the intention is clearly to replace unqualified intents with their default qualified form and also assumes that there is a default qualifier if there are any qualifiers. This usage of default qualifiers was a surprise to me (i.e., I forgot about it) as I thought that the default qualifier was only used in processing intentMaps in policySets.

I think the words you propose to resolve POLICY-83 are good.

I also want to react to the last statement below:

>> In other discussions re the SOAP intents we have taken the position that a default qualifier may not be specified. This is contrary to POL30004 and would require a significant change to the spec.

The current SOAP intent definition has "1_1" set as the default qualifier. Can you help me understand what discussion you're referring to because I might have missed something? The web service binding discussions I'm aware of have not suggested changing this default. We have been discussing the need to declare the qualifiers to be mutually exclusive.

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for ashok malhotra ---05/12/2009 08:24:55 AM---Eric pointed out that the existing wording for conformanceashok malhotra ---05/12/2009 08:24:55 AM---Eric pointed out that the existing wording for conformance statement [POL30004] states:

ashok malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>

OASIS Policy <sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org>

05/12/2009 08:24 AM

[sca-policy] Suggested wording for POLICY-83

Eric pointed out that the existing wording for conformance statement
[POL30004] states:
"If an intent has more than one qualifier, one and only one MUST be
declared as the default qualifier."
and does not cover the case where a single qualifier is declared for the
intent.  See
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/POLICY-83

Suggested rewording:
If an intent has one or more qualifiers, one and only one MUST be
declared as the default qualifier.

Note that this is an extra-Schema constraint.  The Schema provides an
optional 'default' attribute for the
qualifier definition in the intent so, according to the Schema, this
attribute can be omitted for all qualifiers or
set to 'false'.  POL30004 says that this attribute MUST be set to true
for one and only one of the qualifiers.

--
All the best, Ashok