Subject: Preliminary proposal for Issue 93

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/POLICY-93  Allow external attachment for
intents

I thought I would outline the proposal so that if we have time we can
have a brief discussion on Monday.
If there is positive sentiment I will draft a more complete wording
proposal for the next telcon

The motivation behind this issue is the separation of policy and
executable code.  This is what
made us go in the direction of allowing external attachment for
policySets.  We argue that
policy artifacts should be stored and managed separately from code and
should have their own lifecycle and
management. Probably managed by different departments. It should be
possible to change intents and policySets anytime during the application
lifecycle -- even after the application starts to run.

And in some cases, of course, the SCDL cannot or may not be changed.
So, it should be possible to add or change abstract policy requirements
independent of the SCDL.

The proposal requires 2 steps:

1. Add an @attachTo attribute to the intent element.  The value of the
@attachTo attribute is an XPath expression
over the Domain Composite Infoset and it is evaluated in a manner
analogous to the @attachTo attribute on
policySets to indicate the SCDL element where the intent is to be attached.

An alternate design is to introduce a new element, say
<intentAttachment> which has 2 attributes.
The @intent attribute takes a QName as its value and identifies an
intent and an @attachTo  attribute that takes
a XPath expression as its value and identifies the SCDL element that the
intent is to be attached.

2. Add a processing rule to the External Attachment section that says:
attach the intents before attaching the policySets.
--
All the best, Ashok