Subject: Test Assertions and Testcases - current status

Folks,

In a future telecon, hopefully in November, we will need to review the work that has been done on Test Assertions and Testcases. You must review the material ahead of time and be prepared with comments if you have any. Of course, I will take comments via email any time so there's no need to wait until a telecon.

1) Test Assertions - We have previously (and laboriously) reviewed and agreed working draft 03 as the basis on which to write tests. As a result of writing tests and subsequently resolved issues, the TA document needed some updates. I have made those updates, visible as change marks in [1,2]. We just need to review the changes.

2) Testcase document - I have built a testcase document based on the current SCA-Policy test suite. This document simply enumerates which test belongs with which Test Assertion and provides some short documentation on what the test does. We need to review the entire document found here [3,4].

3) Testcases - All the testcases are written and viewable in the OASIS SVN repository, found here [5].

The review will proceed as follows:
a) review changes in TA document.
b) review one or two select testcases.
c) review the TA-testcase cross reference in the testcase document to get agreement that all implementable TAs have a testcase associated with them. At this point I need to point out that I have marked many, many TAs as not implementable for a variety of reasons:
- specified intents are not required to be implemented by an SCA runtime (this makes large swaths of section 7,8 and 9 untestable).
- the spec does not mandate a specific policy language for policySets. I have an idea how we might get around this.
- there are no bindings which are required to be implemented by an SCA runtime.

What remains are testcases that verify the structure and syntax of the policy framework (mostly in section 3 and 4).

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/35139/SCA-Policy-1.1-Test-Assertions-WD-05.doc
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/35138/SCA-Policy-1.1-Test-Assertions-WD-05.pdf
[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/35141/sca-policy-1.1-testcases-wd02.odt
[4] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/35140/sca-policy-1.1-testcases-wd02.pdf
[5] http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/sca-policy/TestCases/

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com