Subject: Re: [sca-policy] ISSUE-93 More Rationale

Folks,

I still don't understand the rationale for this.

If I can attach an intent externally, why didn't I attach an actual concrete policy (or policies) to exactly
the same locations, using the existing external attachment functionality?

I really don't get why external attachment of intents (rather than concrete policies) is useful to anyone.

How do the intents, so attached, actually get used?  If all they do is then guide the attachment of policy
sets, surely it is possible to simply attach the policy sets in exactly the same locations (and for exactly
the same set of reasons that Ashok outlines in the note below).?

If the intents are being used for for some other purpose, then it would be good to describe that purpose
since I don't see it at the moment.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: ashok malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
To: OASIS Policy <sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 04/12/2009 18:44
Subject: [sca-policy] ISSUE-93 More Rationale

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/POLICY-93  Allow External Attachment for
Intents
Here is further rationale in addition to what was presented in
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-policy-comment/200906/msg00007.html

Our developers are now convinced that intents are a good thing and serve
as useful
abstractions for policy requirements.  They are using intents, however,
in a manner that is a bit
different from what was originally envisaged when intents were
invented.  Here are some
issues/requirements.  These reflect our continuing emphasis on
separating policy artifacts from
implementation code and are drawn from real situations

1. Security intents are not attached by the developer.  There are
special, separate, security experts
who attach intents after the developer has done his job.  So, it should
be possible to attach security intents
as a separate step after the code is written and it is better if the
security expert does not need to muck
with the code.

2. In some cases the customer can change intents.  Oracle products are
shipped "secure by default"
The customer may think this is unnecessary and/or too expensive and may
want to lower the bar.
Again. you don't want him changing the code.  If intents are attached
externally he changes just the intents file.

3.  And, of course, corporate policies change.  External attachment just
makes changing intents or attaching additional
intents much easier.

4. Developers cannot be trusted.  In the case of "secure by default" we
have special scripts that go through the code
and check if the right intents have been attached.  This would much
simpler if intents were attached externally.

PROPOSAL:
Add an "attachTo"  attribute to intents.   It's a simple addition.  You
don't have to use it if you don't want to.
--
All the best, Ashok