sdd message

Subject: SDD info about errors

Hi Tom,

The discussion about error reporting in today's F2F reminded me of the error information that disk systems provide to mainframes (called Service Informational Messages).  These error messages identify the failure, provide a severity (service, moderate, serious, acute) of the error, indicate the effect of the failure, the impact of the repair, timestamps, and a reference code (identifies software repair procedures or hardware FRUs to replace).  For an example, see page 172 of  http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IFC5R102/CCONTENTS?DT=20050621023812).

The point is that SDD may want to include information about error identification, severity, failure effects, and repair impacts too.  Just a thought :>)

p.s.  I'm sending this note to you just in case the email gets bounced again.  Attached links to related SMASH work (and the other orgs mentioned this morning).  No links/buttons to upload documents appear on my browser so I can't do this yet.

Mike Dutch
NExT Advanced Technology Standards
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
Office: 650-527-3736
Mobile: 408-464-9185
Email: mike_dutch@symantec.com
Symantec Logo

Work related to software installation standards:

Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF)

DSP0140 Understanding the Application Management Model White Paper  (public document)
http://www.dmtf.org/standards/documents/CIM/DSP0140.pdf

Systems Management Architecture for Server Hardware (SMASH) (members only documents)

Firmware Repository Profile
http://www.dmtf.org/apps/org/workgroup/svrmgmt/download.php/15164/DMTF-Firmware_Repository_Profile-0.7.0.doc

Firmware Update Profile
http://www.dmtf.org/apps/org/workgroup/svrmgmt/download.php/15162/DMTF-Firmware_Update_Profile-0.7.3.doc

Firmware Inventory Profile
http://www.dmtf.org/apps/org/workgroup/svrmgmt/download.php/15160/DMTF-Firmware_Inventory_Profile-0.7.2.doc

Firmware Profile Command Mapping
http://www.dmtf.org/apps/org/workgroup/svrmgmt/download.php/12518/Firmware%20Profile%20Command%20Mappings.doc

Global Grid Forum (GGF)
-----------------------

Management Area Groups:

Application COntents Service (ACS-WG)
https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/acs-wg/
liaison Keisuke Fukui

Configuration Description, Deployment, and Lifecycle Management (CDDLM-WG)
https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/cddlm-wg
liaison Takashi Kojo

OASIS
-----
Solution Deployment Descriptor (SDD) (members only documents)

Lifecycles
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/15363/Lifecycle.ppt

Glossary
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/15072/oasis-sdd-1.0-glossary-draft-01tws.doc

OSGi Alliance

OSGi Service Platform
http://www.osgi.org/documents/osgi_technology/osgi-sp-overview.pdf

Sevice Availability Forum (SAForum)
-----------------------------------
Architecture Group Presentations from Stockholm F2F October 2005 (member only documents)
http://www.saforum.org/apps/org/workgroup/architecture/download.php/2289/latest/STH-2005.zip
Software Management Work Package, Sept 2005 Presentation (members only) - Filename SW-Mgt-Status-Sep-05.ppt

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)
http://uefi.org/

This group is looking into next-generation PXE

Functionality provided by widely used tools
Microsoft Windows Installer
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A55B6B43-E24F-4EA3-A93E-40C0EC4F68E5&displaylang=en>

Red Hat Package Manager
http://www.rpm.org/