sdd message

Subject: Requirement 2.1.1.6.1

I had an action item to send questions about the meaning of "granular
rollback" in the requirements.

The requirement currently reads: "The SDD specification must support the
ability for the author to define the information necessary to support
granular rollback for error recovery processes."

I had volunteered to clarify what granular rollback means - Debra, let
me know if I have gotten your intention wrong.  I think there was some
confusion in the group as to whether this referred to system operation
granularity (e.g. installing files, registry keys, running scripts,
etc.) & that this would somehow be reflected in the SDD - which I didn't
believe was the case.

I believe this means that there are some parts of a package which, if
successfully deployed, the author may not want them to be rolled back.
There are other aspects of a package which, if unsuccessfully deployed,
the author may not want to rollback at all (not critical).

If I have this right, I suggest rewording the requirement:

"The SDD specification must support the ability for the author to
specify whether a component of their package should be rolled back if
later components fail, and whether a particular component should cause
an overall rollback if it fails to install."

Let me know your thoughts,
Josh

Josh Allen
Manager, Software Development
Zero G - a Macrovision company
w: 415.512.7771 | f: 415.723.7244
jallen@macrovision.com
www.ZeroG.com | www.macrovision.com

Zero G is now part of Macrovision Corporation, offering
a combined suite of products to help software publishers and
IT departments maximize the value of their software.