sdd message

Subject: Re: [sdd] RE: Groups - New Action Item #0047 2.6.6

I believe that customers really do what consistent naming and versioning, even without consideration of automation. They want it so that humans can understand easily the state of their systems. That said, I don't think it is in the scope of the SDD to satisfy this requirement. Rather the SDD should be designed so that future naming and versioning standard(s) created by other standards bodies could be used within the SDD.

Julia McCarthy

Inactive hide details for "Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>"Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>

          "Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>

          03/02/2006 08:06 AM

<sdd@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

[sdd] RE: Groups - New Action Item #0047 2.6.6

The current wording of 2.6.6 is:

Consistent identity (naming, versioning and describing standard)

The use cases referenced are 197,201 and 205

197ArtifactsBasicConsistent naming for artifactsCustomers want update packages with a consistent naming and versioning convention; including drivers, applications and hardware firmware. This consistency is required for automation.DELL1.2duplicate use case6.6
201ArtifactsBasicStandard Package descriptionUpdate packages must have a standard package descriptionDELL1.3duplicate use case6.1
6.6
7.2
205ManagementBasicManageabilityUpdate packages shall provide manageability through their meta-data for the payload. It shall contain classification information, hardware applicability information, versioning information and dependencies information.DELL3.3SDD needs to expose all metadata needed to provide IU management; classification metadata as well as requirements (specifically hardware) and versioning;99.44

I contend that use case 197 has been phrased to suggest a solution – which is using naming and versioning conventions as a way to support automated updates. I suggest that a primary objective of the SDD is to allow automated updates without having to impose restrictions on the naming or versioning of resources. The one piece missing from this requirement is the applicability of the SDD to drivers, applications and hardware firmware – which is covered in 2.5.9, but not referenced as a use case.

.

For use case 201, the part of the requirement that I agree with is that update packages must have a standard way to provide a description, not that the description should be standardized. Use case 201 is also referenced in requirement 2.6.1, which I believe addresses this:

For use case 205, I believe that the salient points are covered in other requirements that reference the use case:
Regards,
Debra