sdd message

Subject: 2.1.1.4: Error recovery and remediation information

I had taken an action item to offer a re-wording of requirement 2.1.1.4, but I'd like to back off on rewording this for reasons described below.

The requirement currently reads:

"The SDD specification must support the ability for the author to define error recovery and remediation information for all deployment lifecycle operations."

I definitely think we need this requirement; my issue was that the scope is very broadly defined.  I can envision a wide spectrum of ways that we might satisfy this requirement, including the following:

  1. Support usable and actionable logs by giving all appropriate schema elements sufficient identity
  2. Allow the author to define known package-specific error codes/exceptions in the schema with helpful messages, so that any management UI could display these upon error
  3. Bake into the schema error recovery steps for specific target environments, or support some general framework for doing so for each environment to define
I'm completely comfortable with things like #1, pretty comfortable that we could get things like #2 right, but nervous about our ability to anticipate all the needs for something like #3.

I want to avoid over-engineering the spec, but I'm comfortable with this requirement as long as we keep our design to something that can be demonstrably useful in real-world scenarios.  If anyone else has objections to this requirement I'd be happy to discuss them.

Thanks,
Josh