sdd message

Subject: Re: [sdd] Groups - Action Item Modified: #0051 2.9.6

Unfortunately, this wording does not address my concern. Specifically, this final phrase still contains too broad a claim.

all implementations meeting a specific conformance level successfully install the same SDD package requiring that conformance level.

I believe that there will be other factors in a successful install that are outside the control of the SDD specification. For example, we've been discussing naming and versioning as being outside the scope of the SDD. If competing standards for naming and versioning emerge it is quite possible that implementations may function with one or the other standard but not both. There really is something very important to say with this requirement, but I think it needs to stop short of claiming that using SDD provides universal interoperability. Unless there are people in the group that believe SDD really will provide universal interoperability. Anyone?

Julia McCarthy
Autonomic Computing Enablement
julia@us.ibm.com
Tie/Line 349/8156
877-261-0391

Inactive hide details for Thomas Studwell/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUSThomas Studwell/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

          Thomas Studwell/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

          03/03/2006 05:57 PM

sdd@lists.oasis-open.org

cc

Subject

[sdd] Groups - Action Item Modified: #0051 2.9.6

OASIS Solution Deployment Descriptor (SDD) TC member,

Mr Thomas Studwell has modified this action item.

Number: #0051
Owner: Mr Thomas Studwell
Due: 03 Mar 2006

Comments:
Ms. Julia McCarthy  2006-03-02 00:07 GMT
2.9.6  Julia disagrees because  Debra suggests this contradicts 2.11.1. Tom will look at use case and make recommendation to either reword or delete. ACTION ITEM #0051

Ms. Julia McCarthy  2006-03-02 00:15 GMT
Here is the expanded text from the minutes:
2.9.6  Julia disagrees because she believes there will be factors outside the scope of the SDD that determine interoperability. Debra suggests this contradicts 2.11.1. Tom will look at the associated use case and make recommendation to either reword or delete. ACTION ITEM #0051

Mr Thomas Studwell  2006-03-03 22:57 GMT
Replaced section 2.9.6 with the following text:
2.9.6 The SDD specification, while defining various conformance levels (see requirement 2.11.1), must be sufficiently unambiguous so that all implementations meeting a specific conformance level successfully install the same SDD package requiring that conformance level.

View Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/members/action_item.php?action_item_id=1292

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email application
may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and paste

- OASIS Open Administration

GIF image