sdd message

Subject: Requirement 2.1.2.1.1

John (and anyone else),

On 2.1.2.1.1, I assume we agree to replace topology with "target environments", based on previous discussion.

My objection was to the prioritization clause, based on the reasoning that selecting the appropriate topology needs to take into account many external factors (the user's policies, existing workload, solution performance characteristics) and also the overall solution requirements. I do not think the reasons for allowing a vendor to specify prioritizations themselves are compelling. Ones I can think of are preferring use of their own products (this can always be implemented in the install program logic); one environment "working better" than another (often subjective). The latter is the closest I can think for a valid reason - if you need to allow an install in an "unsupported" environment or one which is known to have problems. So I would propose:

PROPOSED (Preferred):

2.1.2.1.1 The SDD specification must support the definition of alternative target environments.

If we really think we need to support distinguishing the alternatives other than by their inherent characteristics, then I'd propose rewording to capture that we are documenting a "preference" rather than a mandated "prioritization".

PROPOSED (Alternate):

2.1.2.1.1 The SDD specification must support the definition of alternative target environments and identifying selection preferences, if any.

ORIGINAL:

2.1.2.1.1 The SDD specification must support the definition of prioritization of alternative topologies.

Regards,
Christine

Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM, 11501 Burnet Road, Mail Point 901-6B10
Austin, TX 78758
1-512-838-3482 tl 678-3482