sdd message

Subject: Requirement 2.10.1

All,

I disagreed with requirement 2.10.1. I think this requirement is already covered by requirement 2.3.1 (or its proposed rewording):

2.3.1 The SDD specification must support definition of information that describes the results of solution deployment sufficient to:

1. determine if resources are already installed

2. determine if the package can be used to satisfy the dependencies of other packages

I disagree with the example of stating preferences for how to satisfy dependencies - this should be in metadata external to the SDD, if it exists (see other threads on alternative priorities).

Unless we can enumerate specific information that is needed in decision making and that should be provided in the SDD rather than in separate metadata, I think we should delete section 2.10 in its entirety (see note Requirement 2.3.3.1 for overlap with 2.10.2).

ORIGINAL

2.10.1 The SDD specification must support the definition of information to assist a provisioning application or installation program in decision making when external dependencies are not met (e.g. preferred alternatives for meeting dependencies).

Regards,
Christine

Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM, 11501 Burnet Road, Mail Point 901-6B10
Austin, TX 78758
1-512-838-3482 tl 678-3482