sdd message

Subject: RE: [sdd] Action item on disagreement over requirement 2.1.7.2

I agree with Josh and disagree with Christine.  I believe that declarative verification of configuration isn’t sufficient to insure operational status of a solution, and believe that it is within the scope to support definition of self-tests for a solution.  I think that “live” tests are key to verification and that verification is incomplete without it.

Regards,

Debra

From: Christine Draper [mailto:cdraper@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 5:47 PM
To: sdd@lists.oasis-open.org

Josh,

We already have a requirement about verification of configuration. I'm fine with that, although as an approach to verification I would encourage something more declarative, rather than thinking of it as a "test" that gets executed. In reality, the payload that supports verification of configuration may have to support scripts that run and *might* even include a "test" that causes the resource to execute, but I don't think that's best practice for configuration verification.

Self-test to me implies actually exercising the resource to test its correct operation. It implies a broader scope than just the correct configuration of the resource. It seems to me that a "self-managing" resource should come with the capabilities to self-test, and that these are no different from any other capability of the resource. So I think self-tests should be installed as part of the resource (possibly an optional feature), not as separate external scripts - and should be initiated by some standard self-test interface on the resource. Even if we did believe there should be a standard for "self-test packages" which let you specify external tests to run on a resource, I'd say it was outside of SDD scope.

Regards,
Christine

Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM, 11501 Burnet Road, Mail Point 901-6B10
Austin, TX 78758
1-512-838-3482 tl 678-3482
Inactive hide details for "Josh Allen" <jallen@macrovision.com>"Josh Allen" <jallen@macrovision.com>

"Josh Allen" <jallen@macrovision.com>

03/17/2006 06:24 PM

Christine Draper/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

cc

<sdd@lists.oasis-open.org>

Subject

[sdd] Action item on disagreement over requirement 2.1.7.2

Hi Christine,

I've been deputized to address your disagreement with requirement 2.1.7.2. Julia says your objection is summed up with the statement “Self-tests are outside of the scope of install. They should be deployed as part of normal content. This may be a requirement for another stds org.”

I agree that specific self-tests are outside the scope - my agreement with this requirement was based on the understanding that it doesn't call for the SDD to declare specific self-tests. Rather, I can envision a "Verify" lifecycle operation whose "payload" are the self-tests - opaque to the SDD - that would determine if the solution was correctly configured. Does this opacity make you feel any better about this requirement?

Thanks,
Josh