sdd message

Subject: RE: [sdd] Requirement 2.1.2.1.1

Debra,

OK, I will withdraw my issue on "prioritization" re 2.1.2.1.1, on the understanding it is "advice" not mandated decision logic.

Regards,
Christine

Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM, 11501 Burnet Road, Mail Point 901-6B10
Austin, TX 78758
1-512-838-3482 tl 678-3482
Inactive hide details for "Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>"Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>

          "Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>

          03/23/2006 12:48 PM

Christine Draper/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, <sdd@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

RE: [sdd] Requirement 2.1.2.1.1

Hi Christine,

Our difference here may just be the interpretation of prioritization vs. preference. I didn’t envision a situation where a prioritization was not overrideable by the install operator – so it sounds like we are in agreement. Preference is a word I generally associate with the end user, rather than the author – I think that use of the word here is likely to be misunderstood. The user specifies a preference, the author a priority.

I also disagree strongly that vendor preferences should be coded in install program logic or that one environment working “better” than another is substantially subjective. In my opinion, one of the key objectives of the SDD is to surface the type of information that previously would have been “secretly” encoded. That information is necessary for SIs to make knowledgeable choices about subsequent components that they may add to a composition or for tools that might analyze topologies and make choices about the deployment.

I also think that target environments is an incomplete substitution for topologies, and prefer the original use.

2.1.2.1.1 The SDD specification must support the definition of alternative topologies and target environments and provide for optional prioritization of those alternatives to assist the install operator in making his choice.

Regards,
Debra