sdd message

Subject: BEGIN 5:30ET! Agenda for 3/29 SDD Telecon QUORUM NEEDED!

SDD Telecon March 29, 2006

SDD TC Call in info:
TollFree Numbers: 1-866-628-7239
Toll Numbers: +1-210-339-1861
Participant Passcode: 2520908

The goal of this telecon is to close out the SDD Requirements. We've made very good progress in the last few weeks and we only have a few outstanding items. There appears to be a common thread in the remaining items so we will open the meeting with a discussion regarding this single thread in the hopes that we can reach an agreement on terminology and then reach an agreement on the open items.

The prevalent issue seems to be related to what we mean when the requirement has terminology such as "Prioritization" or "Preferred Alternatives". I would like each of you to think about this prior to the meeting and come prepared to present your viewpoint in the first part of the meeting. I would like to keep this discussion to 30 minutes if we have a chance of reaching an early agreement. This will then give us time to wordsmith the remaining 'red' requirements accordingly.

I will permit the discussion to extend to no more than 45 minutes at which time we will cease discussion on this topic and simply begin voting on the individual 'red' alternatives with the majority deciding which requirement to go with.

In this case, the protocol will be: A motion to consider alternative 'A', 'B', 'C' etc with each voter able to vote in favor of one or more alternatives. The alternative with the most votes wins and will be the requirement that goes into the draft requirements document. A motion to amend will be accepted for simple wordsmithing of the requirements. In this case, a new alternative will be created. For example, requirement 'n.m.p' has two alternatives, 'a' & 'b'. There is a motion to vote on these but then a motion to modify 'a' to be slightly different wording. This new alternative becomes alternative 'c' and the motion is to select one of 'a', 'b', or 'c'.

This methodology is somewhat more flexible than strict parlementary procedure and if there are objections we will revert to strict procedure but I think this will get us to closure the quickest.

Note that the vote will be to determine which requirements will appear in the Draft Requirements doc. When we have the draft requirements doc, we will vote as a group (voting members only) to accept the requirements doc in toto. We will probably have to do this vote by ballot since it will take a day or so to update the requirements doc with the accepted alternatives.

Agenda:
5:35 PM ET Call to order and Roll call
Acceptance of minutes from 3/22 telecon
5:45 PM Discussion regarding Prioritization/Preferred Alternatives
6:15PM Resolution of requirements
7:00PM Adjourn

Thomas W. Studwell
Senior Technical Staff Member, Autonomic Computing Architecture
IBM Software Group
B140/Bldg 500
4205 S Miami Blvd, Durham, NC 27703
(919) 254-7574 Fax: (919) 254-7628 Mobile: (919) 619-1038
studwell@us.ibm.com

"There is a word for complaining about a problem without proposing a solution - it's called whining." Ric Telford 2006