sdd message

Subject: Re: [sdd] Alternate definition of artifact

How about:

Artifact: zero or more files representing the payload (e.g. binary content, instructions, definitions, scripts) necessary to perform a lifecycle operation on a resource.

Regards,
Christine

Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM, 11501 Burnet Road, Mail Point 901-6B10
Austin, TX 78758
1-512-838-3482 tl 678-3482
Inactive hide details for Julia McCarthy/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUSJulia McCarthy/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

          Julia McCarthy/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

          04/19/2006 06:44 PM

cc

sdd@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject

Re: [sdd] Alternate definition of artifact

This proposal depends on the definition of payload. You seem to be defining it as only the solution content that is so closely similar to the resulting solution resources that people think of it as the same thing.

Note that even when the package content is closely similar to the deployed resource, it is never the same thing. A file in a package is not the same thing as a file created in a filesystem. To my thinking, all of the content of a solution package is instructions for creating the solution. The instructions might happen to be a list of the exact bits that will be created on the file system - for example, a readme file that gets created in a particular location by copying the set of bits included in the solution package. I don't yet see any value in distinguishing between instructions that are closely similar to the resulting resource and instructions that are clearly different from the resulting resource. And since I don't see value in that distinction, I am not inclined to define payload as only the solution content that is closely similar to the resulting solution resources. Which means I am not inclined to agree with your proposal.

Julia McCarthy
Tivoli Development
Deployment Engine Design
julia@us.ibm.com
349/8156
877-261-0391

Inactive hide details for "Josh Allen" <jallen@macrovision.com>"Josh Allen" <jallen@macrovision.com>

                  "Josh Allen" <jallen@macrovision.com>

                  04/19/2006 07:23 PM

<sdd@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject

[sdd] Alternate definition of artifact

Hi all,

On the call today I suggested an alternative definition of the term
artifact that might help us feel more comfortable with this term. At request I've included it here for review:

Artifact:
zero or more files representing a payload and if necessary a set of instructions about how to use that payload to perform a lifecycle operation on a resource.

Thanks,
Josh

GIF image