sdd message

Subject: Re: [sdd] Alternate definition of artifact

Julia,

My pleasure if I could contribute something :-)

Julia McCarthy wrote:
> Hi Fukui-san,
>
> Your arguments for the usefulness of the term payload also have helped
> convince me that we need the term. Are you happy with the definition
> that James and I were discussing?

Mostly.

> Payload:
>
> Binary packaged content intended to be delivered, without change,
> through a solution
> deployment.

Do we need Binary here? What about xml document or plain text document?

> As for artifact, I think the general definition you reference in your
> note, does apply in this context. Artifacts are the "objects" that
> collect together payload and meta-data required to perform a single
> lifecycle operation on a single resource. I think they are central to
> any discussion of the SDD. The SDD will contain meta-data and payload
> for deploying all the resources involved with a solution. The artifacts
> collect together the information from within the SDD for a single
> operation on a single resource.
>
> Are you happy with the artifact definition as proposed?
>
> Artifact:
>
> Zero or more files or meta-data used to perform a lifecycle
> operation on a resource.

The definition itself is reasonable to me.
However, I'm not sure whether they are mutually exclusive or a single
file (or parts of file) can belong to both category.

-Keisuke