sdd message

Subject: RE: [sdd] Sections 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3.2

Hi all,

I believe that we agreed at the last meeting to move forward with the discussion of these items via email.

Items indicated for group discussion were:

Item

Comment

1

Normative vs. non-normative text

Will separate by sections

2

Alignment with ACS

Will do this in the document

3

Upward compatible schema versions

Will not attempt to impose upward compatibility

4

Required compliance level

Comment to be inserted in document as placeholder

5

Unique identification of descriptor

Document why unique identification is useful in document.  Leave optional.

6

Value of determining unique identification by matching key properties or external inputs

No disposition

7

Naming conventions

No disposition

8

Can there be more than one Language bundle for the descriptor?

No disposition

9

Best practices for avoiding name collisions

No disposition

10

Enumerated values for packageType and contentType – are there a set of defaults?

No disposition

11

Use of human-readable content by implementations – must or should use as indicated

No disposition

12

Combine BaseIdentity with Identity?

Will leave unless someone positively objects.

So,

Item #6  Does anyone have an example of when it would be useful to determine the identity of a descriptor by matching key properties of packageIdentity or external input?

Item #7 I’m surprised that OASIS doesn’t have a set of conventions?  If it doesn’t, then I’d suggest that we align with the GGF conventions, so that the convergence is as straightforward as possible.

Item #8  Even though the language bundles may be really small for the descriptor, I think that it is worthwhile to simple define a common mechanism for handling multiple language bundles.  My experience is that translations take place very asynchronously, and that trying to fuse, merge and manage a single bundle can be error prone.

Item #9  I suggest that we leverage the GGF best practices for avoiding name collisions.

Item #10  I think that it would be useful to predefine a set of packageTypes (base install, update, upgrade, uninstall, etc)  although I believe we’re all agreed that an implementation wouldn’t be constrained to them.  (Question if we agree to do this, would we require implementations to support the defined types, or would that be optional?)  I also think that we should predefine a set of common content types (this is probably easier to do) such as MSI, RPM, ZIP, etc.  In this case, I don’t think that any implementation should be mandated to implement any content type.

Item #11  I’ve already indicated that I believe that this ought to be “should” rather than “must”.  (Human readable content should be used as specified).

Regards,

Debra