sdd message

Subject: RE: [sdd] Groups - Document Library Organization Proposal (OASIS SDD TC - Document Library Proposal.ppt) uploaded

I think the second is preferable.  I believe that the effort to actually move the files isn’t too onerous, once the “map” is constructed.   I think that the long term impact of the first is undesirable.

Regards,

Debra

From: Brent Miller [mailto:bamiller@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 8:53 AM
To: Brent Miller
Cc: sdd@lists.oasis-open.org

SDD TC,

I have not forgotten about this item -- we did agree to reorganize our document library (I received a few comments with suggestions for minor tweaks to the initial proposal, all of which made sense). So I have a good handle on what needs to be done.

However, the reason that this has not been implemented yet is because I discovered some obstacles in doing so; these obstacles have to do with the way the OASIS Kavi tools work. In particular, only the owner of a document can "manage" that document, and to move a document from one folder to another, one must "manage" the document. Hence, I cannot just move all the documents around myself (neither can anyone else).

I did do some experimentation. One method that would seem to work is to use the "replace" function for documents "owned" by others -- the tools do allow this. So, for example, I could replace those documents that need to be moved, but are "owned" by others, with an identical copy of what's already there (analogous to "checking out" the document and then "checking in" the exact same document). Doing that makes the person who did the replacement the new "owner", who can then "manage" the document and move it to a new folder. A side effect of doing this, though, is that all the replaced documents then show up as being "owned" by that person, rather than by the person who really generated and "owns" the document (so, if I used this method, you'd see a big long string of documents with my name beside them).

Another way to accomplish the document library reorganization would be to compile the complete list of all documents that need to be moved, and then assign the task of moving them to their respective owners. Each of us would get a list of "our" documents that need to be moved, and then each of us would need to go in and move "our" documents accordingly. This would keep the document owner as is but would require that everyone do their part before the complete reorganization is done.

I don't mind doing the former, although I'm not sure the side effect noted is desirable; and I'm happy to generate the list for the latter, if everyone wants to do their share.

I'm looking for the TC's preference so that we can accomplish the document library reorganization that we approved and we all agreed was quite desirable.

Please sound off with your thoughts/preferences.

Thanks.

Regards,
Brent

Brent A. Miller
Senior Technical Staff Member
Lead Architect, Autonomic Computing
IBM Corp.
Tel. 919-543-6959 (TIE 441)

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
-- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Brent Miller/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

10/15/2007 02:59 PM

sdd@lists.oasis-open.org

cc

Subject

[sdd] Groups - Document Library Organization Proposal (OASIS SDD TC - Document   Library Proposal.ppt) uploaded

It has been pointed out that our document library might be better
organized. This is a proposal to do so, using the existing folder
structure. Please review and comment via e-mail; we can discuss briefly at
this week's TC call, but if this is an agreeable direction, I'd like to
implement it rather quickly (before the F2F).

-- Mr Brent Miller

The document named Document Library Organization Proposal (OASIS SDD TC -
Document Library Proposal.ppt) has been submitted by Mr Brent Miller to the
OASIS Solution Deployment Descriptor (SDD) TC document repository.

Document Description:
Proposal for reorganizing our TC document library.

View Document Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/document.php?document_id=25710

Download Document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/25710/OASIS%20SDD%20TC%20-%20Document%20Library%20Proposal.ppt

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email application
may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and paste

-OASIS Open Administration