sdd message

Subject: Re: Request for Committee Specification Ballot: SDD

Owing to VPN (IP address) connection problems in Santa Clara, Mary McRae
asked me to upload files associated with "Solution Deployment Descriptor
Specification 1.0" (approved) Committee Draft 4, 8-April-2008, in
preparation for a Committee Specification ballot.

I cannot upload the files until I receive clarification from the
TC and/or Mary: the upload instructions forwarded to me are ambiguous
due to:

a) discrepancies between the instructions and the implications from
    the data themselves
b) apparent conflicts (discrepancies) in the data
c) incomplete instructions about desired filenames and file locations

It would be hazardous for me to guess at all the correct anwers, so
I am seeking clarification.

Lots of incorrect URIs: In addition, it appears to me that the
number of (apparent) discrepancies which could lead to errata or to a
failed CS ballot warrant re-examination of the data and/or instructions
made to TC Admin.  Since I do not have any official role as TC Admin,
I am not empowered to make changes to TC requests.  Furthermore, since we
to not "break links" (once a URI is published), there's too much risk
in (my) uploading resources to the incorrect location(s): the URIs
would become permanent.

#1 Instructions for schema file upload implicitly contradict the
    URIs given in the canonical schema files

The instructions request that the six XML schema files be unzipped
and installed in the /FullSchema/ and /CL1Schema/ directories. The
schema URIs in the schema files do not reflect the directory portion
in the paths

[quote from="TC instructions"]

* Full schema (set of XSD files in a ZIP) is at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/27987/FullSchema.zip
   and the unzipped files are to be published at
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/FullSchema
* CL1 schema (published for convenience; set of XSD files in a ZIP) is at
   http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/27988/CL1Schema.zip
   and the unzipped files are to be published at
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/CL1Schema [/quote]

However, the XML schema files are at variance:

3x schema files in /FullSchema/ attest:

3x schema files in /CL1Schema/ attest:

Since we do not create arbitrary URI aliases, the TC needs to make a
clear choice, and (IMO) normalize/correct the URI references in all
specification materials.  Please confirm with Mary (that) WRT OASIS
rules that an "approved" CS cannot be emended, even "editorially"
for minor changes.

#2  Similar to #1 above, the three RDDL (XML Namespace) documents
     have XML schema URIs lacking the directory components in the path

XSD:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/cd04-sdd-common-1.0.xsd
XSD:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/cd04-sdd-deploymentdescriptor-1.0.xsd
XSD:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/cd04-sdd-packagedescriptor-1.0.xsd

Note in the "PackageDescriptor Namespace" document a typo:
*http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/nsv1.0/cd04/cd04-sdd-packagedescriptor-1.0.xsd
  (see HTML link code associated with the  display text
  "cd04-sdd-packagedescriptor-1.0.xsd")

#3  Similar to the instructions, but at variance with the Schemas and
     RDDL document URIs, Specification Appendix A ("A. Schema File
     List") presents URIs with 1 directory components in the path

From Appendix A

http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/CL1Schema/cd04-sdd-common-1.0.xsd
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/FullSchema/cd04-sdd-common-1.0.xsd
*http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0cd04/CL1Schema/cd04-sdd-deploymentDescriptor-1.0.xsd [typo]
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/FullSchema/cd04-sdd-deploymentDescriptor-1.0.xsd
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/CL1Schema/cd04-sdd-packageDescriptor-1.0.xsd
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/FullSchema/cd04-sdd-packageDescriptor-1.0.xsd

* Note the typo in one of the URIs

#4 'Previous Version: specification URIs on the cover page appear to
     be incorrect

Whereas the "Previous Version:" URIs contain a substring 'pr01-r01',
the documents published in the OASIS Library for the preceding
spec version are different.  The most recent published version is
'pr01', and the URIs are as follows:

* http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01.html site
* http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01.doc site
* http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01.pdf site

If the 'cd04' files are uploaded, the cover page "Previous Version:"
URIs will create status 404 errors when dereferenced:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01-r01.html 12 display
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01-r01.html link
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01-r01.doc 13 display
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01-r01.doc link
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01-r01.pdf 14 display
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01-r01.pdf link

We cannot break the existing URIs, and I have no authorization to
create (gratuitious) URI aliases, nor to seek out missing intermediate
documents (and publish them) -- should any such documents exist.

#5  Similar to #4, the three RDDL (XML Namespace) documents attest
     URIs for resources that are missing (404)

All three RDDL (XML Namespace) documents have:

*Prev:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01-r01.pdf
*Prev:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01-r01.pdf
*Prev
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/sdd-spec-v1.0-pr01-r01.pdf

#6  URIs published in the three RDDL (XML Namespace) documents for
     "Previous version:" [(Public Review, Revision 1)] schema files
     do not match any existing online resources

The following schema file URIs in RDDL documents are published:

*Prev:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/pr01-r01-sdd-common-1.0.xsd
*Prev:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/pr01-r01-sdd-deploymentdescriptor-1.0.xsd
*Prev
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/pr01-r01-sdd-packagedescriptor-1.0.xsd

In fact, the most recent published schema URIs (they would be
("Previous version:" from the POV of CD04) are:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/FullSchema/pr01-sdd-common-1.0.xsd
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/FullSchema/pr01-sdd-deploymentDescriptor-1.0.xsd
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/pr01/FullSchema/pr01-sdd-packageDescriptor-1.0.xsd

Dereferencing the URIs presented in the RDDL documents would result
in status 404 errors.

#7 Incomplete information about RDDL file locations and filenames

A. No instructions are given about the TC's preference (if any) for
    URIs to be associated with the RDDL namespace document files
    themselves.  By convention, we do not create directories (or
    files) corresponding to NS URIs themselves: we use URI rewrite
    rules to present a namespace document to a user (agent/client)
    when the NS URI is dereferenced, ensuring that the NS URI
    is retained in the browser address window.  By this means, we
    clearly associate the (visible) namespace URI with the namespace
    document which documents the namespace.

    Oddly, the published 'pr01' SDD specification has no namespace
    document(s) associates with the NS URIs, so convention is
    missing.  Absent any special request or preference from the TC,
    I would probably store the new namespace documents in the
    directory http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/, OR create
    an alias in /v1.0/ with the actual file in /cd04/
    (http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/) -- but the choice
    is not consequential.

B. The files embedded in the ZIP ('namespaces') are:

cd04-common-rddl-1.0.html
cd04-deploymentdescriptor-rddl-1.0.html
cd04-packagedescriptor-rddl-1.0.html

However, the upload instructions are silent about whether these
filenames represent a specific choice on the part of the TC.
If not, it might be clearer to follow the URI pattern used in
the other SDD spec resources, viz., to include the 'sdd'
naming component.  Thus:

sdd-cd04-common-rddl-1.0.html
sdd-cd04-deploymentdescriptor-rddl-1.0.html
sdd-cd04-packagedescriptor-rddl-1.0.html

Please clarify if any specific request is implied or of concern.

#8 [Non-fatal] Example ZIP file missing from install list/instructions

Appendix A ("A. Schema File List")

   [quote]
   "Example SDDs showing the use of the schema can be found at the
   following address.
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/sdd-examples-v1.0.zip"; [/]

No such file is currently installed, and is not referenced in the
install instructions.

#9 [Non-fatal] XML Namespaces (not a showstopper for mere upload)

* Section 1.7 "XML Namespaces" fails to identify the XML Namespaces;
   it only mentions three prefixes, but by rule, prefixes are
   insignificant. The critical namespace declaration is the
   HTTP scheme URI, and should be presented here.

"The XML namespaces defined as part of this specification are:
  - sdd-pd: stands for the package descriptor portion of the SDD
    namespace.
  - sdd-dd: stands for the deployment descriptor portion of the
    SDD namespace.
  - sdd-common: stands for the common (shared) types, elements
    and groups of the SDD namespace."

#10 [FYI, Non-fatal] Missing documents references

* Section 1.2 references a Primer, but the Primer '[SDDP]' does not
exist at the referenced URI(s):

[SDDP]	Solution Deployment Descriptor Primer
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/sdd-primer-v1.0.doc
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/sdd-primer-v1.0.pdf
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/sdd-primer-v1.0.html

* Section 1.2 references a Profile, but the Profile '[SDDSP]'
does not exist at the referenced URI(s):

[SDDSP]	Solution Deployment Descriptor Starter Profile
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/sdd-starter-profile-v1.0.doc
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/sdd-starter-profile-v1.0.pdf
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/sdd-starter-profile-v1.0.html

- Robin Cover
   OASIS, Chief Information Architect

=========== Notes and References

[1] Sources:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27964/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04.doc
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27965/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27966/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04-HTML.zip
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27987/FullSchema.zip
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27988/CL1Schema.zip
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/28002/namespaces.zip

[2] Candidate URIs:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04.doc
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04.pdf
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04.html
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/FullSchema
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/CL1Schema

[3] (candidate) RDDL filenames as uploaded to Kavi in ZIP:

cd04-common-rddl-1.0.html
cd04-deploymentdescriptor-rddl-1.0.html
cd04-packagedescriptor-rddl-1.0.html

============= Upload request:

Brent Miller/Raleigh/IBM
04/17/2008 07:31 AM
To <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
cc Subject
RE: Request for Committee Specification Ballot: SDDLink

Mary,

The specification has been updated to reflect its approval as CD04. Here's
the full updated information/request for CS ballot:

The OASIS SDD TC has approved moving the current CD04 specification and
schema draft forward for a Committee Specification vote. We understand
that you conduct this ballot.

SDD Public Review was held from January 18 - March 18, 2008. Two public
review comments were received (see the TC's "comments" e-mail archives);
details about these comments and their disposition can be found at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/27940/SDD-PRComments.doc

The TC approved the PR01-R01 draft as CD04; this draft has no Substantive
Changes from the PR01 draft that was approved and underwent Public Review
(meeting minutes with the unanimous TC approval are at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/27916/Meeting%20Minutes%20OASIS%20SDD%20TC%202008.doc
see the 03/27/2008 minutes).

Please publish the following documents on docs.oasis-open.org, according to the
URIs specified within the documents, and please initiate a ballot to approve
these as Committee Specification:

  *  Specification editable source (MS-Word): document is at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/27964/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04.doc
     and is to be published at
     http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04.doc
  *  Specification PDF: document is at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/27965/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04.pdf
     and is to be published at
     http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04.pdf
  *  Specification HTML: document (set of HTML files in a ZIP) is at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/27966/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04-HTML.zip
     and is to be
     published at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/sdd-spec-v1.0-cd04.html
  *  Full schema (set of XSD files in a ZIP) is at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/27987/FullSchema.zip
     and the unzipped files are to be
     published at http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/FullSchema
  *  CL1 schema (published for convenience; set of XSD files in a ZIP) is at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/27988/CL1Schema.zip
     and the unzipped files are to be
     published at http://docs.oasis-open.org/sdd/v1.0/cd04/CL1Schema
  *  The RDDL namespace documents are at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/download.php/28002/namespaces.zip
     ** The authoritative version of the specification is the MS-Word editable
source

     If you need any additional information, please let me know.

     Thank you!

Regards,
Brent

Brent A. Miller