sdd message

Subject: Re: [sdd] Revision #1 is the right one

My initial observations:

I don't see any substantial difference between "old" and "older  new", so
I would claim that if we chose "older new" for all the new
additions/changes to the specification, that these would be "consistent
enough" without changing all the existing diagrams.

The "newer new" sure is pretty, and I like how it explicitly adds the type
of the property, and how it more explicitly shows attributes vs. elements.
However, for me, this one doesn't show "optional" as explicitly as the old
or "older new" -- these latter ones use dotted lines, which is more
obvious to me than the "0 .. <infinity>", which does provide the
information but in a less obvious way, in my opinion.

So to me, the question is whether or not the "newer new" provides enough
additional value (not just color and other aesthetics) to justify changing
all of the existing diagrams. At the moment, I don't have a strong opinion
either way.

What do others think?

Thanks, Merri.

Brent A. Miller
Senior Technical Staff Member, Master Inventor
Chief Architect, Tivoli Autonomic Computing & Component Technologies
(TACCT)
IBM Corporation
Please Note New Tel.       919-224-1027 (TIE 687)
Email:   bamiller@us.ibm.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
But, in practice, there is."
-- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut