sdo message

Subject: RE: [sdo] [NEW ISSUE]: Remove the {property '.' index_from_0} from sdo xpath syntax

Thanks for the response Frank.

Perhaps an alternative resolution than the one Hongbo proposes would to
be considering rephrasing that SDOPath guarantees a subset of XPath plus
additional SDO grammar and make sure we define the xpath subset and then
the extended grammar that is sdo specific.  I think it is great to
guarantee that a certain subset of xpath is supported, but there should
be no reason to limit our options and not provided ant extra grammar to
the SDOPath.  As for the dot, if we don't limit ourselves to only a
subset of xpath we can support an escape mechanism as in anything in
single quotes is interpreted as a literal and part of property names and
a '' would represent a single quote if that is ever really needed so
"foo/'property.withdot'/bar" would work.  Also if we left that door open
to add our additional grammars to SDO path we could also easily define
how to reference a namespace of a property as part of the path (such as
"/ns1:foo.2/ns2:bar.1")

Thanks,
  James

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Budinsky [mailto:frankb@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:24 AM
To: sdo@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [sdo] [NEW ISSUE]: Remove the {property '.' index_from_0}
from sdo xpath syntax

Hi James,

Java uses 0-based indexing as well, but the issue here has more to do
with
XPath compatibility than language binding - since the syntax of SDOPath
was supposed to be an XPath subset but the .0 format is the one
exception.
Even if you don't use it, it causes problems with properties that
include
the "." character in their names.

Your comment about it being a breaking change, however, is a valid
concern.

Frank

"James Hart" <James.Hart@roguewave.com>
01/24/2008 12:41 PM

"Yang,Hongbo" <yanghb@primeton.com>, <sdo@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [sdo] [NEW ISSUE]: Remove the {property '.' index_from_0} from sdo
xpath syntax

From a C++ point of view where all arrays are indexed with 0 it is more
intuitive for some of our customer base to use the .0 syntax.  It makes
using the data object more intuitive for people who have mainly used 0
based indexing in the past.  You don?t have to use the .0 base indexing
if
you want to just use [1].  Removing it from the specs first forces
everyone to do it one way that might not be familiar or intuitive for
them. Secondly, it would be breaking usage for people who are use to SDO

that have always used the .0 syntax and migration could be a real pain.

I brought this next point up briefly in the F2F, but I think it relates
this issue too.  Things that make the SDO language specific seem like a
bad idea to include in the SDO spec.  Since different languages use 0
base
indexing vs. 1 base indexing it seems pretty great to have the spec
include both ways as convince since I would say most programmers are
from
a 0 based indexed system yet a 1 based index system is used in several
systems as well.

Thanks,
  James