sdo message

Subject: RE: [sdo] C++ Spec

I share many of your concerns.  There a number of key differences between Java and C++ (and even more so with procedural languages like C).  No annotations, as you point out, no generic objects, no instance classes for base types (I have not yet had sufficient time to consider an the implications of  the proposed use of instance classes in determining type compatibility), etc.  We need to be aware of these as we work on 3.0, if we want to be able to use SDOs as a interoperable data format for exchanging messages between services.  I suspect we may have to come to a point where we say there is an SDO core with extensions that may not be possible to support in all languages.  The goal need to be to have concepts treated as consistently as possible in each of the languages.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

"James Hart" <James.Hart@roguewave.com>

02/27/2008 03:58 PM

Bryan Aupperle/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
<sdo@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
RE: [sdo] C++ Spec

Dr, Aupperle, thanks for responding.

The company I work for, Rogue Wave Software, has an SDO product based largely on 2.+.  I would like to be part of any discussions or work on translating what is done for 3.0 Java spec to a C++ equivalent.

My biggest concern at the moment is that it seems like the new Java spec features will largely depend on Java specific features.  Such as annotations and using Types generically for creating data objects and interacting with POJOs and such, which aren’t a trivial thing to implement in C++.  Basically, if it is a feature/concept they want to use that is available because of the interpretive aspect of the Java language it is not going to be so trivial to migrate the same concept to C++ or any other non-interpretive languages.  In fact, a lot of that behavior would need to be accomplished via code generation and compile time and might even require additional interfaces to be implemented by an end user.  Data won’t just be “plug and play” in those cases.  I don’t really understand why there isn’t just a Spec that is language independent and then Java, like all other language specs are driven by that.  Especially if one of the big points of SDO is that it defines a common interface cross language.  Has that principle changed, or have I misinterpreted that as a goal when it really isn’t?  If that was not the case, then should there be another committee all together to determine a diverging spec for C++ if the desired concepts with the Java version of SDO become incompatible?

Please, anyone chime in!

Thanks,
~James

I have converted the 2.1 draft to the OASIS format and have been watching the issues being transferred from the OSOA JIRA system to make sure that they are not already addressed or duplicates, so you could say that I am leading the C++ work (more by default than anything formal).

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

"James Hart" <James.Hart@roguewave.com>

02/27/2008 11:17 AM

<sdo@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc

Subject
[sdo] C++ Spec

Could I get information on who to contact that is currently leading the initiative for any new SDO C++ spec work?

Thanks,

 James