sdo message

Subject: RE: [sdo] Simple question with (possibly profound?) implications on SDO 3 :-)

I have always wondered why that api wasn't strictly part of the XMLDas,
or as the SDO spec likes to do, in the XMLHelper or XSDHelper.

However, I thought there was some talk at the F2F about making the XSD
more tightly bound to the SDO in 3.0 to better define how the SDO Data
Object supports meta information.  In that case the sequence api, in
3.0, makes more sense to me.  Otherwise, I'd say the whole spec defining
an XMLHelper and XSDHelper does not make sense to me because it handles
the way data is stored which is a DAS function which the spec points out
isn't something it should define.  Again, if the XSD way of describing
the data is being tightly bound to SDO than maybe we want to change
XSDHelper into MetaHelper so the underlying mechanism can be changed
later if the SDO doesn't want to follow XSD later.  If the XSDHelper
interface is defined well enough than I don't think there would be a
need for an XMLHelper, since the DAS can, and maybe should, be provide
and defined by third parties.  Thoughts?

 ~James

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Budinsky [mailto:frankb@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 12:15 PM
To: sdo@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [sdo] Simple question with (possibly profound?) implications on
SDO 3 :-)

Hi,

I've been thinking a lot about sequenced types in SDO lately, and am
starting to wonder if anybody knows of a use case for SDO Sequence,
other
than for XML fidelity? Even though the spec tries to explain sequenced
types as being something more abstract than just support for accessing
and
manipulating the XML serialization order and mixed text, I can't think
of
any such use cases. If anybody has a compelling example that I'm
missing,
please let me know.

If it is really only for XML, I think we should consider changing the
name
in SDO 3, because of the fact that XSD sequence and SDO sequence are
almost the opposite of each other (i.e., an XSD type that is simply an
xsd:sequence of elements is NOT a sequenced type in SDO). Also, if
Sequence is really just an XML thing, getSequence() may not really
belong
in the DataObject interface, and/or perhaps it should be an optional
feature in SDO 3.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Frank.