sdo message

Subject: ISSUE 5: Defining SDO types by JAVA types

Title: ISSUE 5: Defining SDO types by JAVA types

Hi Everyone,

The current discussion of containment is in large part motivated by the wish to use other sources of metadata as a standard way to define types.

Although we at SAP have always interpreted the spec as at least allowing this, we're probably alone in that interpretation.  The spec is at best very unclear about how this should be done.

One possibility is to interpret TypeHelper.getType(Class) as performing introspection of the class, and returning a type based on this introspection.  In order to standardize this behavior, all we'd need to do is change the second bullet point in 4.8.2 from

To something like

This is probably fairly surprising behavior.  From the usability standpoint, most people don't expect a getter to do anything other than look up a value.  On the other hand, this is really nothing more than a form of lazy initialization.  The ClassLoader associated with the helper context is implicitly loaded when the helper context is created.

If we want to define a new method, then need to do a little more work, and define a method like

Note that neither proposal requires us to solve the knottier issue of how the class is introspected, and converted to a SDO type.  This is just putting another stake in the ground, saying that Java classes can be introspected, can be sources of metadata, and that this is the API for doing it.

Best Regards,
Ron