sdo message

Subject: RE: AW: [sdo] Containment discussion

I generally like the TechnicalRoot proposal, but one thing that bothers me is the relationship with datagraph. If I understand correctly, <datagraph> will be a child of <technicalRoot>, so there will be two levels of indirection before getting to the data. In addition, we'll have to have some generic Schema for <technicalRoot>. That's not bad in and of itself, but it would be much more elegant if <technicalRoot> and <datagraph> were the same. I understand that because DataGraph is a "user-visible" DataObject, this would not work very well, but consider this: we started off (in SDO 2.0.1) with one special-behavior container (DataGraph) and now we end up with one special-behavior (what I mean by special-behavior is that it acquires containment references at serialization time without them being set at any point) container (TechnicalRoot) and one normal-beahvior container (DataGraph). Having the normal-DataObject DataGraph seems redundant at this point.

As for the per-message type use-case presented by Blaise, I acknowledge that it is a good use-case. I am not sure however that Oracle's proposal for SDO-124 does enough really. It just creates one alternative Schema for one particular relationship.

This assumes that there is something wrong with:

<address e-id="2" street="1 A St." city="A City"/>

But there is nothing wrong with just specifying the emp-id without having the employee in-line.
Or the user may want this:

<address e-id="2" resident-name="Jane" street="1 A St." city="A City"/>

i.e. collapsing the employee info and address info in the same structure; perfectly reasonable.
Or why not this:

<employee e-id="2" name="Jane" street="1 A St." city="A City" department-name="Finance"/>

The version presented in the document

<address e-id="2" street="1 A St." city="A City">
  <resident e-id="2" name="Jane/>
</address>

is one of several that are reasonable.

So I am thinking that SDO may not be the place to solve the problem and a higher-level mechanism (DAS?) is needed which may involve letting the user define relationships between different sets of SDO metadata/DAS operations.

Radu