sdo message

Subject: Re: ISSUE 130: New DataObject method: cast()

Hi Ron,

Sorry I didn't provide the problem statement. This is what I had in mind:

<BEGIN DESCRIPTION>

An SDO Data Object is a data structure composed of named properties. The
DataObject interface provides the primary standard Dynamic API for reading
and manipulating the underlying data structure. However, a number of other
interfaces provide alternate "views" of the same data structure:

1) Sequence.class - if the object's type isSequenced
2) a custom Java interface (e.g., Company.class) - if the type is static
SDO

Another possible view of a data object (currently
implementation-dependent, but a possible future addition to the spec)
would be a DOM view:

3) Node.class - if one wants to provide a 100% XML fidelity view of the
underlying XML structure using an XML standard API

The current approach for accessing alternate views is using specific APIs
for each view:

1) DataObject.getSequence() to get the Sequence view
2) Java cast - e.g., (Company)myDO - for a static SDO view
3) If we want to get a Node view, then we'll need to add some new API for
that - e.g., XMLHelper.getNode(myDO)

This proposal suggests to instead provide a single uniform API for
accessing any alternate view. This will have the advantage of simplicity
(1 method for all) as well as extensibility for future supported (or even
implementation dependent) views.

<END DESCRIPTION>

Now, to answer your questions (from below) Ron:

1) I'm not sure if we need to cast back from every possible view - if so,
then we may want to add one or more APIs for that as well, but I think
it's a separate issue. Note that Sequence currently doesn't provide a
method to get back to the DataObject view - i.e., there is no
Sequence.getDataObject() method.

2) I'm just saying this will "probably" be useful when we want to
integrate with JAXB/JPA. It opens up the possibility of implementations
supporting static using DataObject proxies, or similar, instead of
byte-code insertion or specialized code generation to make sure that
everything is done in a single instance.

3) JAXB is a static solution. If we want Dynamic SDO with 100% XML
fidelity, we need something like Node. Note that I said "something like" -
I'm open to other suggestions, but I think that since Node is "the
standard XML API", we should consider using it.

I hope this helps to clarify things.

Thanks,
Frank.

"Barack, Ron" <ron.barack@sap.com>
06/12/2008 09:36 AM

Frank Budinsky/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, <sdo@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc

Subject
ISSUE 130: New DataObject method: cast()

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/SDO-130

Hi Frank,

I had a little trouble entering this into the JIRA:  you make a proposal
without stating what problem you would like to solve.  Casting to Node
isn't part of the proposal, so XMLFidelity isn't addressed, so what is the
problem we are trying to solve?  From your text I have extrapolated the
following DESCRIPTION:

Under SDO 2.1, clients obtain a reference to the static SDO by casting the
DataObject, that is, the static SDO must be the same instance as the
DataObject.  This will be a problem when we do JPA/ JAXB integration.

Is this correct?

Now for some questions:

1) don't we need a symetric operation, one that allows you to go from the
static SDO back to the DataObject (casting always worked in both
directions)?

2) what is your justification is for the last assertion, that we need this
for JPA/ JAXB integration?

3) Regarding casting to Node...Assuming we get JAXB integration to work
(by the way, I think JAXB integration is much harder than JPA), doesn't
that give us all the XMLFidelity we need?  Which technology should we
focus on integrating?

Best Regards,
Ron