sdo message

Subject: AW: AW: AW: [sdo] ISSUE 119: Projection and Keys

Hi Bryan,

In th current proposal, the implementation would create one entity for each distinct key value.  The entity would have all default values, except for the key properties, which would of course match the key.

In earlier versions of the proposal, I defined a second projection method that took a second argument.  I called this argument an "EntityResolver" and the idea was exactly to allow the client (probably in this case a DAS) to provide some special logic to manage the reference objects.  In the SAP prototype, for instance, we have an implementation that basically wraps a JPA EntityManager.

This is certainly something I want to address before we go final, but I don't think we necessarily have to define it as part of this issue.  It seems to me that the current proposal is clear enough that it can be accepted as is...we've been unable to make progress on this proposal for weeks now, and I thought it might go easier if we added things piece by piece.

One of the things holding me back from making a proposal with an EntityManager is that even though I think the functionality is clear and clearly needed, I'm not sure about how the API should look.  Specifically, depending on how ISSUE 134 is resolved, we may get some kind of "Projector" object, which would be a much better place it parameterize projection...with an entity manager, or anything else.  I'm not very enthusiastic about having a second "project" method.

It also sort of disturbed me in our implementation that the application would get back a graph in which the entities at the edges were attached, but the real SDO content was still detached.  It might be better to allow other hooks into the projection process, eg, one for normal objects, so that the implementation can call "merge" or something.

It seems you agree we need an EntityResolver, do you need to see it as part of the resolution of this issue, or do you think we can solve it seperately?

Ron

Von: Bryan Aupperle [mailto:aupperle@us.ibm.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 15. August 2008 16:38
An: sdo@lists.oasis-open.org
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: [sdo] ISSUE 119: Projection and Keys

Ron,

I must not have been sufficiently clear about the scenario I am concerned about.

I understand the case where you start with the context with entities and project to the context with keys.  The mapping between entities and keys can be created and maintained.  I agree there is no problem projecting back tot he context with entities.

Now consider the opposite case.  Start with an object containing keys and the mapping between entities and keys has not yet been created  (perhaps the object was received via a service call).  Now project to a context  with entities.  Those entities have to be retrieved from the data store.  Or am I missing something here?

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

"Barack, Ron" <ron.barack@sap.com>

08/15/2008 09:58 AM

Bryan Aupperle/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, <sdo@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
AW: AW: [sdo] ISSUE 119:  Projection and Keys

Hi Bryan,

good to know that someone is reading the proposals...

I didn't mean located within the backend store, I meant within the graph reachable from Oe, called Gk in the text.

Projection maintains identity (one reason why I think it can be unified with binding).  That is,  if I have an object O in HelperContext hc1, and I project it to HelperContext hc2, then

O == hc1.project( hc2.project( O ))

What I really what to say in the proposal is that the same must hold true for keys.  That is, if the O has a property p, that is a DataObject in hc1, and a key in hc2, then

o.get(p) == (hc1.project( hc2.project ( O ))) .get(p);

Moreover, whereever I set the value of a property in the transitive closure reachable from hc2.project(O) (Gk in the text), to the value of hc2.project(O).get(p), then, when I project back into hc1, I will always get the same instance, namely O.get(p).

It's actually easy, it's just hard to say it.

Basically, it means that when you project from a context with entities to a context with keys, the user has implicitly defined a map from entities to keys based on the objects in the projection.  This map is not universal... it's based solely on the graph being transfered.

Did that help or make things worse?

Ron