sdo message

Subject: AW: AW: [sdo] Update of remaining XML Fidelity duplicate names issues

Hi Frank, others,

I think we should try a little harder, here.  SAP is part of the camp that does not think of SDOPath's similarity to Xpath as being required for XML fidelity, but we do see the need to to have a SDOPath with a readable, understandable syntax, that can address any property.  I think SDO will be weakened if we don't offer some standard solution here.  We at SAP can live with Oracle's as well as IBM's proposals, maybe we will have luck and be able to find a middle ground.

One reason why I think the "xml:" notation is superior to IBM's proposal is that it allows implementations more flexibility in deciding how to handle conflicting local names, that is, it allows implementations to mangle the SDOName.  Or not.  The XML name, qualified by "@" or by "namespace-uri" seems to be our only chance of coming up with a standard way to name the property for the purposes of SDOPath.

But while allowing for name mangling, Oracle's proposal (I mean here proposal 1) does not require it.  As I understand the current proposal, however, the "xml:" prefix is not really othogonal to the "namespace-uri" predicates, namely, the "namespace-uri" can only in association with "xml:".

One thing we could do is weaken this, allow namespace-uri to be used with or without the "xml" prefix.  First of all, we need to weaken it anyway, to handle open content properties, So why not just say the two predicates are orthogonal.  One way to look at an SDOPath element is that it's a query on the metadata.  Saying o.get("x") essentially performs a query on the instance properties, returning the property where p.getName().equals("x").  Saying o.get("x[namespace-uri()='foo']") is simply adding another clause to the query, asking that additionally XSDHelper.getNamespaceURI(p).equals("foo").

If we go in this way, then at least we give the implementation the choice not to do any name mangling, and for such implementations, since the SDO name will be the same as the XML name, the "xml:" prefix becomes optional, so the SDOPath string becomes exactly what Frank suggested in his proposal.  True, this will be implementation specific behavior, as will any behavior that relies on the implementation's name mangling algorithm.  But at least we have a standard, portable solutions that allows the vendor specific solution that IBM would prefer.

We could also go to the other extreme and say that namespace-uri implies the use of an XML name, that is, that "xml:" is redundant in this case.  Then we also get SDOPaths that look like Xpath, but we loose the ability to use the SDO name with namespace-uri.  I also think it's a bit convoluted for one clause in the "metadata query" to affect the meaning of the other clause.

Regarding the "@" operator... It's true that using it to distinguish attributes and elements is a breaking change.  It would, however, be a breaking change that is in SAP's opinion fully acceptable:  we don't think may users are relying on this behavior, we don't think there will be many breaks.  Blaise's arguement that the character sets us up for further extensions of other datacentric languages is something I haven't really been able to understand.  Perhaps, Blaise, you could describe what such a possible future extension might be.  Otherwise, I would rather try to get a consensus solution to the current issues.

Ron

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Frank Budinsky [mailto:frankb@ca.ibm.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 5. September 2008 03:29
An: sdo@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi guys,

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about and discussing the attached
proposal within IBM, but unfortunately the conclusion is that we don't
find it to be an acceptable solution for these issues. By this, I mean the
SDOPath part of the proposal (option 1 or 2). As we agreed (and voted) in
last week's TC call, we do like and support the XSDHelper.getProperty()
part of the proposal.

The problem with the SDOPath part of the proposal is that it doesn't meet
our (IBMs) goal of XPath Fidelity. IBM feels that XPath Fidelity is an
important part of XML Fidelity in general. That is, SDOPaths should be as
compatible with XPath as possible and thus as natural as possible for an
XML-savvy programmer to use. Neither using xml: prefixes in the path nor
using (verbose) function syntax meets this requirement. We also don't see
a use case that would require the ability to mix SDO name matching and XML
name matching within the steps of a single path, so the additional
complexity is not warranted in our view.

Given that it appears that others don't feel as strongly about XPath
Fidelity, and since we need to start making more progress given our target
date for SDO 3, we feel it would be best to end the discussion of these
issues and simply leave the spec as it is, only making sure that
implementations are allowed to solve these issues in
implementation-dependent ways. Although we realize that this is less
satisfying than to agree on a standard solution, we feel that the
XSDHelper.getProperty() method that we've agreed to already provides one
way to handle duplicate names. We believe that also handling them though
SDOPath via an implementation-dependent approach will be good enough.

I believe that the IBM solutions to these issues (described below) are
arguably compliant with the spec already. This conclusion is based on one
of my favorite paragraphs in the spec :-) That is, section 3.1.3:

SDO specifies minimum functionality for implementations. An implementation
may provide additional function so that valid results would be returned
where this specification would produce an error, provided that the
functionality is a strict superset and all valid uses of the SDO
specification operate correctly.

Also, this wording in section 12:

names including any of the special characters of the syntax (./[]='"@) are
not accessible.

I interpret section 12 to mean get("@foo") would be an error condition.
However, according to 3.1.13 an implementation can "provide additional
function" in this case. IBM, for SDO-71 (for example), would go the route
of providing the additional function of adding "@foo" as an aliasName for
attribute backed properties named "foo" and then allowing them to be
accessed through DataObject.get("@foo").

Does anybody believe that we are wrong in this assumption, in that this
would make IBM's implementation of SDO noncompliant? The only possible
issue I can see is this sentence in section 12:

The presence or absence of the @ sign in a path has no meaning.

This seems to imply that implementations MUST implement get("@foo") to
return an element-backed property, if it is the first foo in the list. In
my opinion, a user would likely consider this an error. It conflicts with
the purpose of allowing the @ sign in the first place (to allow standard
XPath syntax to be used to retrieve attribute-backed property values).

Although, maybe IBM could argue that our implementation provides
"additional function" in this case as well - i.e., in our implementation
the presence or absence of the @ sign in a path HAS meaning.

Does anybody believe that the SDO spec should say that an implementation
is noncompliant if it doesn't return an element from get("@foo"), when the
first foo property is an element? I think that, as we've always tried to
do in the past, it would be in SDO's best interest to remove this (or any
other) wording that appears in the spec which is necessary in order to
allow this to be compliant (i.e., allow an implementation to do better).

Thanks,
Frank

Blaise Doughan <blaise.doughan@oracle.com>
08/26/2008 09:44 AM

sdo@lists.oasis-open.org
cc

Subject
Re: AW: [sdo] Update of remaining XML Fidelity duplicate names issues

Hello All,

Attached is the Oracle proposal addressing the following SDO issues:
SDO-67 Handling of Namespace in SDO Path (section 2.1.4)
SDO-71 SDOPath handling of '@' character (section 2.1.1)
SDO-83 Clarification of special "value" property and how to avoid name
clashes (section 2.1.5)
-Blaise

Frank Budinsky wrote:
Hi guys,

The current status of at least SDO-67 is that we're waiting to evaluate a
counter proposal from Oracle. I'm not sure if it will also address SDO-71
(or SDO-83, which the current SDO-71 proposal also solves). If so, we need

to see this proposal and evaluate it ASAP. Otherwise, I'd like to suggest
making SDO-71 an optional feature. All that's needed for that is to
"allow" SDO names to include the '@' character after which IBM, or anyone
else that wants to, could implement SDO-71 as described below, and still
be spec compliant.

The final issue below, SDO-82, is unrelated. Are there any objections to
that proposal? If not, can we at least resolve it?

It looks like our tentative plan to publish a CD by the end of August is
becoming highly unlikely. I think we need to put a greater sense of
urgency on making progress on this spec, or I feel that SDO 3 may come
unravelled.

Comments?

Thanks,
Frank

"Barack, Ron" <ron.barack@sap.com>
08/11/2008 06:32 AM

Frank Budinsky/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, <sdo@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc

Subject
AW: [sdo] Update of remaining XML Fidelity duplicate names issues

Hi Frank

I like these proposals.  Two comments, additions.

First, I would like to go through the document and take out all text
stating that name conflicts must be resolved by annotating with sdo:name.
We are now allowing duplicate SDO names, and specifying the behavior.

Second, when dealing with name conflicts, I would rather avoid explicitly
requiring name mangling.  I would rather say that the e.g., attribute
names must never hide element names.  This is the behavior that is
interesting for the user.  Name mangling is an implementation detail in
order to achieve this.  Your wording for proposal 3 is actually already
what I have in mind, and I would like similar wording in proposal 2.

Ron