sdo message

Subject: Re: AW: AW: [sdo] Proposal for Static SDOs

Hi Ron,

What role do you see facets playing?
  1. Fail fast validation (i.e. set a string that is too long or add beyond the max size of a list, then immediately throw an exception)?
  2. On demand validation (create a validator class that you can use to confirm the object is valid)?
  3. More metadata for better schema generation?
In JAXB we found more often than not the XML schemas users were using was more of a rough guideline of how the XML should look as opposed to the exact specifications.  Where validation could occur in JAXB the spec group added plenty of validation event handlers where users could programmatically choose to ignore them.   If we supported fail fast validation in SDO, we would also need the mechanisms to allow users to override this behaviour.

JAXB had support for on demand validation, but it was deprecated in JAXB 2.0, ultimately all the participants agreed that nobody was using this feature.  In the almost 3 years since the release of JAXB 2, I haven't had a customer ask for this functionality back.

In terms of schema generation (from a JAXB perspective), Java users have different expectations of XML schema than XML users do.  JAXB Java users want an XML schema they can use with Web Services, they rely on Java typing to constrain there model.  They choose int/long/float to constrain their numeric types instead of relying on maxInclusive/minInclusive.

-Blaise

Barack, Ron wrote:
7C3EF93EEBC6EB4A8B4470853DE86566706F9D@dewdfe18.wdf.sap.corp" type="cite">
Hi Blaise,

From Section 1.3
I agree, interfaces are the standard java construct for static SDOs, and I think any clients that care about portability have to use them only.  The mapping from SDO non-datatype Type to interface is established at least since SDO 2, and I did not intentionally weaken this.  In this paragraph, I wanted to say that we are not standardizing that java interfaces/DynamicProxy always be used, eg, clients should not rely on there being a client proxy implemention.  This allows implementation to chose other means of implementing the interface (eg, a generated implementation class), and opens the doors to other types of static SDOs, eg, POJOs or the generated class itself.

Section 1.7.4 - @SdoProperty
My intention was that @SdoProperty would only be necessary if the default mapping needed to be modified (eg, to set the containment behavior).  We want unannotated interface to be usable, after all.  On the other hand, I think @SdoTransient would only make sense if we were dealing with an annotated (POJO) class.  On a Java interface (that is being implemented using a DynamicProxy, say), it wouldn't make any sense.  And since interfaces are our only standard for static SDOs, having something like @SdoTransient seems like something that should be left to be a vendor extension.  On the other hand, if we standardize bytecode weaving as something that must be supported, then you are right, we need @SdoTransient.

Section 1.7.6 - @SdoFacets
Using JSR-303 is a great idea, and I will try to update the proposal accordingly.  I cases where the JSR does not provide an annotation that maps 100% to an XSD restriction, how do you see proceeding?  Should we define our own annotatins, eg, commonj.sdo.validation.Pattern, commonj.sdo.validation.MinExclusive?  What about annotations by the JST that do not match XSD restrictions, like @NotNull.

Really, the fundamental problem here is that we don't have any standard SDO model for restrictions/facets.  I our implementation we have a bunch of open content properties used for this purpose.   Do you agree we should standardize this?

Best Regards,
Ron